The Great Balloon Escapade

Chat Noir had come up with many plans over the years; from wining and dining his Lady, to extravagant displays of affection, including fireworks. Each and every one was great, but this year it was different. This year it mattered more than ever, because this year he was wooing his girlfriend for Valentine's Day instead of trying to cat ch the girl.

They'd been together for nine glorious months, and he'd planned their first Valentine's Day down to the nth degree.

He would set up the rooftop where he'd first declared his love — candles, picnic blankets and roses. But this time he had one more trick up his sleeve, something he should have thought of all those years ago.

Balloons.

A huge bouquet of extraordinary balloons.

He'd purchased her favourite colours, her favourite shapes: hearts, kitties...he had it all.

She said she didn't want him to go too ott, and to be honest he didn't think he had. What were a couple dozen personalised pastries from Tom and Sabine's bakery, a few hundred scented candles, three dozen red roses and twelve balloons? Not enough! That's what it was.

She deserved more than this, but he had to draw the line somewhere (Plagg had convinced him the white doves and dancing swans were taking it a little too far — for this year at least).

So, here he was. Leaving the party shop, balloons in hand ready to woo his Lady like he'd never woo'd her before. Hopefully after all this effort he'd be going home with a kiss or two...or more! Dozens seemed to be the theme of the day, so why not a dozen kisses too?

"Now, make sure you hold onto them tight. You don't want them floating away before you reach your destination."

Chat Noir saluted the shop keeper as he hopped, skipped and jumped out onto the street, balloons in hand, and the pièce de résistance to his plan.

Oh, yes! Today was going to be purrfect .

Strolling down the street, Chat Noir couldn't help whistling a little tune as he walked. He knew he could have run across the rooftops, but where was the fun in that? He wanted to walk the streets and for everyone to know Chat Noir was in love with Ladybug. He'd finally got the girl. And he treated her like the Queen she was!

Strutting his stuff, he saluted to awestruck fans and high fived small wannabe superheroes, greeting everyone who passed him as he made down the street.

All until he felt something wrap tightly around his leg, and something which couldn't be more than five-years-old.

Unsure what to do, Chat Noir pursed his lips and pointed down to the girl, hoping someone who passed would claim the small child and take her from his thigh. Having her in that position was a little too close for comfort, and not at all to his liking. Last thing he needed today of all days was to be arrested for inappropriate behaviour.

The girl suffocating his left leg suddenly started to sob, looks of concern were sent his way from passers-by, each of them giving that look you give broken parents. Where was this girl's mother?

He moved his balloons around, attaching them to his belt whilst he petted the young girl on the head with his other.

"Now, now," he said, "what's the issue dear?"

Oh great! Now he sounded like one of the trolls from Frozen.

"I — I've — I've lost my Maman," the girl wailed, screaming loudly as she cried. Pulling up his metaphorical superhero underpants, because that would not be an ideal thing to do right now, he considered the options of what he could do next.