The Answer to your Enigma

Marinette Dupain-Cheng had always been an enigma to Adrien Agreste.

An enigma he spent way too much time trying to figure out. Over the years, they'd grown closer, something he was truly happy about, but there was still that gap, the one he wanted to fill more than anything. So he started tuning into her more, trying to find out what made her tick.

He'd look at her body language when she was happy and sad, he'd look out for the wiggles when she was excited and the groans when she was stressed and tired...he might have even abused his powers once or twice to have a late night visit to see Marinette in her natural habitat.

Over time, he'd started to expand his findings into his own little dictionary...

'Dictionary-a-la-Marinette'.

He had everything in there, from the way she scrunched up her nose when she disagreed with something, to the little, rather cute, booty shuffle when she was happy and excited.

Marinette was like a rainbow, not just in appearance, with her bright clothing and shimmering hair colour, but in the way she carried herself and interacted with others. Her presence was a burst of energy and warmth, much like the sight of a rainbow emerging after a heavy rain shower...until you messed with her that is.

For example, exhibit A. Chloé Bourgeois.

Everyone in the class, if not the whole of Paris knew the two girls didn't get on. Who wouldn't notice the way they blatantly ignored each other, or, if they needed to interact, stared at each other with enough heat, to burn the building down. His cataclysm didn't have anything on the adulterated loathing of these two.

So one morning, when Adrien was sitting in his seat after returning to college earlier than expected, he wasn't overly surprised by the tornado of anger that entered not too long after.

He was just sitting there, doodling on his notepad, a mix between Ladybug and pink peony flowers, when suddenly his calm zen time was interrupted by a very angry Marinette and an equally exasperated Alya.

"Can you believe that happened...like hello, you're not the only one to walk on the path."

"Marinette," Alya said, "what happened?"

Talking at a speed the chipmunks would be proud of, Marinette began to explain her mood. "But oh no! All the hubba baloo about footprints and social classes just had to play a part in it, because I'm only me and not worthy of anything else."

"Hubba ba— what?" Alya asked, and even without looking Alya could picture the exact face she was pulling at the moment.

The slam of a bag behind him made him jump and bang his knee on the table.

"Then it was all like...just because you like him doesn't mean he likes you. He has taste after all and I have history. He doesn't want someone with idiot-itis!" Marinette's rambling was growing faster and faster, and if he wasn't as fluent in Marinette talk as he was, the only option to understand would be to record her and then slow down the conversation.

"I - um - I..."

Understanding Alya was lost, Adrien wrote down what Marinette had been staying on a new page in his book, before balling it up and throwing it over his shoulder. The yelp coming from Alya obviously meant he'd hit the bulls eye—literally .

"Oh!" Alya exclaimed. "Chloé pushed you out of the way coming into collège and said because you're friends with her oldest friend it doesn't matter because she has history and they would never want to be with you."He felt the sigh that came from Alya as much as he heard it. "Come on girl! You know she's only jealous of your relationship. She can't stand that you're better friends than they are."