The Price of Trust

Adrien had always trusted his instincts. As Chat Noir, his senses were his lifeline, keeping him and Ladybug out of harm's way countless times. But as Adrien Agreste, those instincts were often overshadowed by the normalcy of teenage life. Today, though, those instincts screamed at him, louder than ever.

It started with a faint glow from his ring.

Adrien glanced at the Miraculous, a sense of unease settling in his stomach. The ring glowed intermittently, an ethereal pulse that sent chills down his spine. It was as if the ring itself was calling out, reaching for something – or someone. He looked around the classroom, most of the class were accounted for. Chloé was still with her mother in New York and Lila was still expelled from François DuPont. His eyes continued around the class, a void striking him hard as he fell upon an empty seat.

Marinette. The absence gnawed at him, amplifying his anxiety. This couldn't be a coincidence. Having the ring glow and Marinette absent must be linked, his mind throwing possibilities at him like they were running out of fashion—until they screeched to a stop. There could only be one reason his Miraculous had started this cheap Disco nightclub effect, and it just had to be linked to Ladybug.

The two faces crossed over in his mind, not stopping long enough on top of each other to piece it together.

Adrien studied the front of the room, Miss Bustier hadn't started yet, so he had a little time to try and figure this out. Turning in his chair, he called Alya closer.

"Where's Marinette?" he asked, Alya looking at him like he'd lost his mind.

"You know she's never on time, why would today be any different?"

He shrugged. His gut was telling him something different and the blinding light coming from his ring wasn't helping his mood.

"What's up with your ring?" Alya looked down at the metal object, eyebrows creasing as she studied his hypno-trance ring.

"Oh, it's - um - a new version of the Alliance ring. It lets me know when I have an email."

Alya's face told him she most certainly didn't believe a word he had just said. "Sure."

The teacher called attention to the class, starting the lesson right on time, but as the time progressed the unease in Adrien's chest tightened. She still wasn't here, and that could only mean bad news.

As soon as the final bell rang, Adrien was out of his seat and fleeing from the collège. Making up a lame excuse to Gorilla, he headed around the back of the building and freed Plagg, the kwami displaying the same look of worry.

"You'll find her," the kwami said, the confidence in Adrien a billion times more than what he had at the moment himself.

"Why do you think this is flashing?" Plagg shrugged. "Maybe it's tracking her. Start walking and see what happens."

Adrien followed the persistent glow. It led him to the outskirts of Paris, a place abandoned and desolate. His heart raced as the glow intensified, illuminating his path in the encroaching darkness. If he had sense, he would turn around and make his way back to the centre. Being out here, as a celebrity, was one of the stupidest moves he'd ever done. Thank goodness he was part superhero.

"Marinette!" he called out, his voice echoing off the crumbling buildings. Silence answered him. He pressed on, the fear in his chest growing with every step.

"Ladybug," he called out this time, the anxiety tightening in his chest. He released Plagg, the kwami hovering alongside him as the glow of his ring flickered quicker and quicker, until it was permanently on.