18.

18.

Vanessa

Droplets of sweat trickled down my spine as the alien suns bore down on my exposed neck.

My heart raced as I cautiously followed Maya and Lorian through the bustling market, my senses bombarded by the cacophony of noise, movement, and smells. The air was heavy with the scent of exotic spices and the musk of unfamiliar creatures, mingling with the unmistakable tang of danger.

"Keep close," Lorian warned, his green skin glistening under the sun's glare. His piercing eyes scanned the crowd, our guardian amidst the chaos.

"Look at this!" Maya exclaimed, her warm brown eyes twinkling with wonder as she picked up a shimmering trinket from one of the stalls. Her enthusiasm was infectious, and I found myself momentarily forgetting the trepidation that had settled in my stomach.

"Be careful what you touch," Lorian advised, his voice betraying just a hint of concern. "There are many items here that can be dangerous."

I nodded, taking note of his caution, but couldn't resist the urge to explore the market a little more closely. It wasn't every day that I found myself on an alien planet, after all.

As we ventured deeper into the throng of beings that filled the marketplace, a sudden wave of dizziness washed over me. My knees buckled, and I stumbled forward, only to be caught by Lorian's strong arms.

"Vanessa!" he cried out, holding me steady.

"Damn it, Vanessa," Maya muttered, rushing to my side. "You've got to be more careful. This place is dangerous enough without you passing out."

"Sorry," I mumbled, my face flushing with embarrassment. "I don't know what came over me."

Lorian's brow furrowed, concern etched across his handsome features. "We need to find a quiet place. Now."

He guided me through the crowd, his presence like a shield as we found a secluded alcove tucked away from the chaos of the market.

"I'll find you something to drink," Maya offered, popping over to a stall selling food.

Once we were alone, Lorian knelt down in front of me, his green eyes searching mine.

"Vanessa," he said, his voice low and serious. "I have something important to tell you."

"What is it?" I asked, my heart pounding with dread.

"You're pregnant," he revealed, his gaze unwavering.

A thousand emotions surged through me at once: shock, disbelief, fear. How could this be possible? Well, I knew how this was possible, Draug and I had sex. A lot of it. I'd just assumed we weren't compatible in that way– we were different species, for Pete's sake.

My mind raced as I tried to process the revelation, but Lorian continued before I could speak.

"I know this must come as a surprise, but it's imperative that you take care of yourself," he said slowly. "I only got the results just before we left. This planet is dangerous, and now more than ever, you need to be cautious."

A swell of panic rose within me as the weight of his words sunk in. This wasn't just about me anymore; there was an innocent life growing inside of me, and I had to do everything I could to protect it.

I dragged my hands through my hair. "Shit, we should go back to the ship."

"Of course." Lorian nodded. "Once Maya comes back."

As we sat there in the dim light of the alcove, I couldn't help but feel a sense of gratitude toward Lorian.

I knew I had to tell Draug about the baby, but how could I just drop this bomb on him?