19.

Draug

The searing heat of the sun reflected off the rough metal of our spacecraft as we returned from my first supply run back. The weight of the bags in my hands was a comforting reminder I made it out of the gladiatorial arena.

"Gods, Drax, did we have to get every heavy piece of equipment in the market?" Killian grumbled while shifting the bulky bag on his shoulder. His red skin seemed to absorb the sunlight, giving him an almost luminescent glow. His golden eyes darted about playfully, always searching for amusement or some new way to poke fun at us—his friends and teammates.

"Hey, we needed it all," Drax retorted, his voice tinged with the weight of responsibility and guilt.

Drax strode alongside me, his tall and muscular frame casting an imposing shadow on the ground. His sharp cheekbones and full lips were a family trait, but it was his piercing golden eyes that truly set him apart.

He had been against my relationship with Vanessa at first, but he eventually recognized the strength and resilience of our bond.

"Drax's right," I said, voice firm but compassionate. "We need to be prepared for anything."

Torin walked silently next to Drax. His piercing red eyes usually held a world of pain but they seemed lighter than they used to. But his chiselled face was etched with worry. Despite our differences, Torin had become a loyal member of our team and a trusted friend.

"Alright, alright," Killian conceded with a smirk. "But if I throw my back out, I'm blaming you, Draug."

"Deal," I replied, my lips twitching into a half-hearted smile.

As we approached the ship, I was lost in thought. The camaraderie between Drax, Torin, Killian, and me had grown stronger, a bond forged by our years together that hadn't waned in my year away.

In the corner of my eye, I noticed Maya sprinting toward us, her dark hair streaming behind her like a flag caught in a storm.

"Something's happened!" she cried as she neared, her normally bright eyes filled with terror. "Vanessa and Lorian—they've been taken!"

My heart dropped into my stomach like a stone plunging into a bottomless chasm. "What do you mean, taken?" I demanded, struggling to keep my voice steady.

"I went to go get Vanessa a drink. When I was coming back, they were surrounded by a group of heavily armed men." Maya explained, panting for breath.

"Did you see anything else?" Killian asked, his golden eyes narrowed with concern.

"No, I'm sorry," Maya replied, her voice barely more than a whisper.

I clenched my fists so tightly that my nails dug into my palms, drawing blood. The pain was a welcome reprieve from the overwhelming fear surging through me like a tidal wave. If anything happened to Vanessa or Lorian, I didn't know if I could ever forgive myself.

"Maya," Torin said, taking her into his arms. "Stay on the ship. Keep trying to contact them. If you hear anything, let us know immediately."

"Of course," she nodded, her eyes filled with worry. "Be careful, Torin, everyone." She went into the ship.

"Alright, everyone," Drax said, his voice firm and commanding. "We need to find them. Gather any intel you can, talk to witnesses— anything that might lead us to Vanessa and Lorian. And hurry!"

"Got it," Torin replied, his red eyes blazing with determination. He and Killian immediately took off, heading back into the market area to search for clues.

As I turned to join Drax, an icy fear gripped my chest, constricting my breath and sending shivers down my spine. Images of Vanessa and Lorian in pain—or worse—flashed through my mind, each more horrifying than the last. The thought of losing them gnawed at my insides like a ravenous beast, threatening to consume me whole.