Chapter three

I learned that to evolve in karate I had to have three things :

Motivation

Discipline

And a lot of guts.

I acquired the last ones a long time ago when I started working.

As for motivation, beating Miguel was my top priority, and for that, I had to beat every single athlete of Cobra Kai, especially Hawk and Tory.

And that's why I'm training like crazy.

And I'm starting to really like karate.

«Face me! Bow! » I oblige.

«Face each other! Bow!» I keep my eyes on Tristan while bowing, an arrogant smirk grows on his face while my expression keeps blank.

«Fight!»

He comes straight for me, exactly like I expected and I throw my foot to his ribs, making him stumble back. I crouch down and sweep his legs from under him and he falls, his back hitting the mat in a loud thud, followed by his grunts of pain.

I stand up, and for a moment everyone is silent. I look at Sensei, who looks back at me with his eyebrows raised, he doesn't smile but he gives me an approving nod. Which makes me smile.

Miguel was the first to clap, and then everyone joined in, Eli was wolf-whistling. I feel my face burn as I bow and take back my spot next to Aisha.

«Nice one, Nichols. Poor Tristan won't be able to show his face again.» I let out a laugh. «How long has it been since you started? two weeks?»

«Something like that, but I still need a lot of training to take on the champ.» I say with determination, looking over at Miguel who's sitting next to my sister, he shakes his head at me like he's unimpressed. And I mouth you're next at him, which he raises an eyebrow at, a grin settling on his face.

«First, you have to defeat the hawk.» hawk speaks next to us, fiercely stretching his arms, Aisha and I exchange laughs, ignoring him.

I met Aisha at the dojo, we go to the same school but we never really talked before, you know when you just know someone cause you see them somewhere but you never really talk. But Cobra Kai made us close, and I'm glad to have her as a friend.

And then there's Eli, it's like we picked up on where we left our friendship, even though he's very different from the scared dorky boy who I hid with at the library. Not only did he change his style, but he became more confident, way too confident if you ask me.

«Hey, I know what we're doing today, it's Moon's back-to-school party.» Aisha beams excitedly.

«Yeah, heard it would be dope, like all her other parties.»

Moon is the kind of girl who's friends with like everyone, I remember doing a chemistry project with her and Samantha Larusso last year, she's very nice. And she's also Eli's ex-girlfriend who he clearly still misses.

«I'm not exactly the party type.» I wrinkle my nose at the thought of drunk and sweaty teenagers dancing to loud music, which never sounds appealing.

«Yeah, she's more of a bookworm nerd.» Eli snorts and I glare at him.

«Don't listen to this idiot.» Aisha comforts me.«all our dojo will be there, you won't be alone, you'll see how fun it's gonna be.»

«Yeah live a little Lory.» Hawk rolls his eyes.

I dart my eyes between the both of them, hesitant but I end up agreeing because why not? Eli's right, I should live a little.

«Okay, I'm in.» and they both cheer.