Chapter nine

I used to whine whenever I had a shift at the coffee shop, but after getting fired and having to work in that hellhole of Mexican restaurant, the cafe suddenly seems like it was heaven.

Well first of all, it was crowded ninety nine percent of the time, apparently the valley was obsessed with Mexican food and the place was understaffed which meant that I practically had to be at two places at once at a time most of the time.

And then there's my boss, a disgusting prick. He treats his employees like slaves and doesnt give a damn about work conditions. But he pays me at the end of the month so I just suck it up and work in silence.

By the time my shift ended I was exhausted and my current insomnia wasn't helping. I thought that Miguel being okay would stop the nightmares, but last night when I tried to sleep I woke up not even an hour later with a loud gasp and covered in sweet. Everytime I close my eyes I see him falling, the sick noise of his back hitting the railing will haunt me forever.

It happened right in front of me, and I just can't shake it off no matter how much I try.

But I still had a chance to redeem myself, Miguel doesn't hate me nor blame me for the incident, he even made it known that he wanted me around when he requested that I came back.

I also got to discover the reason behind his miserable mood the other day. Carmen told me that Miguel may not be able to walk again.

The news struck me like lightning but I tried to keep my composure for her sake, especially since she asked me to be there for her son.

And that's exactly what I'm planning to do.

So instead of going home after work, I went to the hospital instead, and here I am filling my bag with snacks from the vending machine while holding a blueberry milkshake in my other hand.

When I'm done, I go straight for Miguel's room, finding him depressed on his bed with the TV off and him staring blankly at the ceiling, the curtains are shut which drowns the room in darkness.

«This hospital room looks more like the morgue.» I blurt out, which makes him notice me and quickly snap his head on my direction.

«You came back.» He breathes out, as if it was a suprise.

«Well you asked me to.» I say with hesitation. Going to drop the bag of snacks and the milkshake on the table beside him, feeling him watch my every move. «And I also wanted to be here.» I add.

Finally looking at him, I notice him smiling. But it's a smile that doesn't reach his eyes, not like the one he showed me when we met at coyote creek or after our fight at the dojo. He was not okay, and he was hiding it.

I smile back at him and then start opening the curtains of the room letting the light in. «Let's chase some depression away from this room, shall we?» I turn back to him to find him already sipping on the milkshake.

He stops after a few seconds, then he says with a straight face. «You know, don't you?» I furrow my brows in an act of confusion. «About the doctor saying I may not walk again.»

I stare at him for a few seconds, then decide that lying wasn't the best option at the moment. So instead I ask «What gave it away?»

«Nothing.» He takes another sip. «I just guessed that my mom told you and you just confirmed it.» he points out and I stare at him in disbelief.

«Why did you ask her not to tell me?» I ask and he looks away, no longer meeting my eyes.

«You feel bad enough as it is.» he says in a deceived tone. «Look at you coming back here everyday with snacks and treats.»He lifts the glass to make his point. «You feel like you owe me.»