|Roses of...a thief| {Chapter 3}

{Venti POV}

I was at Windrise, playing my lyre while enjoying the peace. Though that peace was quickly interrupted by some shouting. Since I was curious, and had nothing better to do, I went to go investigate. When I got closer someone ran right into me, knocking the both of us over.

"Heyyy!"
"S-sorry- got to run-"

The person disappeared into the giant tree, and I was greeted by two people who seemed to be chasing the person.

"Did someone run over here?"
"Why not that I'm aware of, why are you asking?"
"Ugh doesn't matter then. Have a nice day I suppose."

With that the two pursuers ran off, leaving myself and the stranger alone.

"Now, may I ask some questions?"
"I suppose..." The person was hard to make out, but as far as I could tell they were a younger male possibly injured.

"Are you hurt?"
"No."
"That's good, what's your name?"
"Ambrose..I know stupid na-"
"That's a lovely name!" There was just silence after I interrupted, so I continued my questioning. "Why were those people chasing you?"
"I stole something...that may or may not be worth a lot of Mora..."
"I see, why?"
"Mother's orders."
"Why would you still listen to her? If I had to guess you're in your early 20s."
"You'd be very wrong there. But 'as long as I live with her, I have to follow her rules, no questions asked,'" Ambrose mimed what I assume was his mother's voice. I hadn't liked the idea of him being forced to listen to his mother even at his age.

"Ah, well may I ask for you to return the stolen item?" I realized quickly that he had tensed. "Sorry did I say something wrong?"
"No... I just can't return this..."
"Why is that?"
"My mother may just kill me if I don't."
"Excuse me...?" I was in absolute shock, whose mother...no who would even think murder is okay over one object?!
"Sorry..."
"There's no need to apologize." Ambrose eventually hopped out of the tree, and I could now see he was visibly shaking. I walked over and before I knew it, I had hugged him. "...May I know your name?" To my surprise he didn't pull away instead relaxed a bit. I realized he asked me a question.

"You can call me Venti."
"Odd name, just like mine."
"Your name isn't odd!"
"Who looks at their child and decides 'you know what I think I'll call you Ambrose!'?"
"I would! I think it's a pretty name."
"Well thank you..."

There was a moment of silence, I realized I was still hugging him and pulled away. To my surprise I felt...disappointed the hug ended. By the looks of it he was also slightly upset. But before either of us could speak there was a loud voice from behind them. I noticed that Ambrose froze, which was a giveaway this person was not good news.

Word Count: 454