Chapter 8

Hot shot was once again back in Cook Children's hospital. He was going to have to stay for a while. Hot shot wasn't too happy about this. He was upset because he was going to miss the start of Kindergarten. He was still going to be able to do classes while in the hospital. That was a good thing. But he was wondering how long he was going to have stay this time. He knew it was going to be a long while before he was going to be out.

He was getting treatments while in the hospital for his brain cancer. Hot shot was watching some videos on his tablet. Hot shot had tests, check ups, scans and treatments to do some days. But other days he didn't have much to do. It was pretty boring. 

Today Hot shot was going to get another surgery to try to remove the remainder of the brain tumor. He was ready for it too. Hot shot was holding on to Roxy the rhino and ready to go in. He soon was taken to the OR. Hot shot saw the anesthesiologist there again. "Hello Hot shot how would you like your medicine air to smell this time, we got grape, apple, bubblegum, cupcake, cotton candy, and vanilla," the anesthesiologist said.

"Vanilla," Hot shot said.

"Okay then," the anesthesiologist said. Then placed the mask on Hot shot's face after hooking it up to the hose. Hot shot began to breathe in the medicine and soon he was asleep. Dr. Hansen went right to work at removing more of the tumor. "There we go we got the remainder of the main tumor out," Dr. Hansen said. "We will do other surgeries to get out the other to small ones in different areas," he said. "But those surgeries will come later," he said. "Now let's close him up," he said. Hot shot's head was closed up and his head was bandaged. Once again Dr. Hansen bandaged Roxy the rhino's head. He was thinking it was cute to bandage a child's stuffed animal's head after he does brain surgery on the child. 

Hot shot was now in the ICU. Hot shot woke up there and saw his parents. "Hot shot you did great during surgery," Quickshadow said.

"They got the rest of the main tumor out," Heatwave said. "But there two little tumors in there that spread from the main tumor that still need to be removed," he told him.

Dr. Hansen and Dr. Zhao came into the room. They were checking on Hot shot. "I removed the rest of the main tumor," Dr. Hansen said. "But the two smaller tumors in your head I will have to remove later, after you recover some and get more chemotherapy," he told him.

"My head hurts," Hot shot said.

"Your head will hurt for a while after surgery," Dr. Zhao said. "It's normal so try not to worry to much," she said.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

After a few days Hot shot began therapy. He didn't have any troubles like from his last surgery. But his right leg was still turned slightly outward and gave him a slightly different gait. It had been that way since the first surgery to try to remove the tumor. Dr. Acord said that it was a lasting affect from the surgery. "It looks like this is something Hot shot will be stuck with for the rest of his life," Dr. Acord said. "But I can see he is able to keep up with you and other children just fine despite the slightly different gait." she said. "I also seen him run quickly too, even though with a bit of a different gait," she said. "he is doing just fine despite that," she said. "He will be okay," she said. "Some kids like Hot shot adapt to these changes quickly and live normally," she said. "He's a great kid," she told them.

Hot shot was soon moved back to his room in the oncology ward. Hot shot was happy to be back there in his bed. Hot shot soon saw his friends they were going to have to stay a while too. He was happy to see them to say the least.

Hot shot developed an interest while in the hospital. It was horses, and he was looking at videos of people riding horses. He also saw competitions with horses. He saw cartoons of kids riding horses. It was really interesting and cool. Hot shot liked it a lot. "This is really cool," Hot shot said. "Daddy is riding horses a sport?" he asked.