twenty One

Erin had her eyes closed as she contemplated Yates stabbing her in the chest. She gasped when she felt his weight lift off of her and her arms fall by her sides, as Mark fell to the ground with a bullet in his neck.

Opening her hazel eyes, she saw one of the men who had kidnapped her and Nadia pinning Yates down by the throat.

She was puzzled as to why he was violently beating Yates. 'Wait, you're a police officer?' Yates inquired as Derick forcefully struck him in the face.

'I was undercover,' Derick explained as he rolled Yates onto his stomach and handcuffed his arms behind his back. 'It was my duty to apprehend you,' he added.

Erin sat up on the bed, her hand applying pressure to her shoulder to stem the bleeding. She observed as the man delivered one final kick to Yates's head. 'That's for hurting my little sister,' he growled.

The brunette's eyes widened upon hearing what he had disclosed to Yates—brother? How? She shook her head in pain as a shooting sensation in her shoulder made it difficult to articulate.

Erin observed as the man approached her, removed his shirt, and applied it to the wound, causing her to wince. "I apologize for striking you, Erin. I needed to maintain my cover as one of Yates's henchmen until the right moment," he explained.

Erin replied with a roll of her eyes, "I understand, but you didn't have to hit a pregnant woman, and you could have informed me to stay quiet," she said as Derick increased the pressure on her shoulder wound.

Yelping in pain, Erin bit her lip, to which Derick responded gently, "I know I could have, but it was challenging to access your room, given Yates's watchful eye."

Erin declared, "I comprehend, but I will retaliate when I have recovered," prompting a chuckle from Derick, who remarked, "I look forward to it. Voight mentioned your fiery temper."

Upon learning of Derick's acquaintance with Voight, Erin inquired, looking intrigued as he nodded and began to elaborate, "Yes, we conversed a few years back."

Erin nodded in response as she gazed at him, "My name is Derick Lindsay," he disclosed to her. "Which implies you're my brother?" Erin questioned, glancing at him, who nodded.

"I will provide further explanation once we have left this place, but I can disclose to you that our mother kept me away from you because she knew I would take you with me if I were aware of your birth," Derick explained, and Erin comprehended with a nod, saying, "That's Bunny for you," with a sigh.

The two conversed while awaiting the arrival of Antonio and Voight, who promptly entered the room. Antonio hastened to Erin's side, inquiring, "Are you alright, Er?" Observing Derick supporting Erin's shoulder, he added, "He stabbed her in the shoulder, and it appears the only wound is on her cheek." He allowed Antonio to take charge while he went to speak with Voight.

Erin nodded as she locked eyes with Antonio, stating, "I'm managing fine; my shoulder is excruciating, but I will endure." She leaned into his embrace, shutting her eyes to alleviate the pain. "Is Nadia unharmed?" she inquired.

Antonio informed that Nadia is safe, as she is currently outside with Ruzek and Jay. He then proceeded to hold Erin in his arms and stated, 'Let's transport you to the hospital.' Erin agreed and stood up, but Antonio insisted on carrying her, saying, 'I believe I will carry you,' as he kissed her head. They exited the room, leaving Yates, a deceased Mark, with Voight, and Derick.

Upon reaching outside, Antonio carried Erin to where his sister and Brett were waiting by the ambulance. Gabby inquired anxiously, 'Is she alright?' when she saw them approaching with the stretcher.