Chapter 14. Relationships

꧁༺ 𝓢𝓸𝓷𝓰𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 ༻꧂

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

I was walking toward the Easy Squeezy Bar right when I tripped and fell over. "Whoa!" I yelped as I fell over. I saw Zack hiding on the floor. "Zack!? What are you doing?" I asked as I was slightly annoyed now by the situation.

"Shh!" Zack shushed me pretty loudly, "Over here." Zack and I hid amongst some of the seats. "I'm playing a prank on Woody. You see, yesterday he salted my pudding cup. You don't salt a man's pudding cup."

I blinked a few times, thinking about why Zack was doing this. "This is seriously over 1 little pudding cup?"

Zack rolled his eyes at me. "So! When Woody sees the plate of free goodies, he'll pick it up, which will pull the fishing line, which is attached to a bucket of freezing ocean water on the upper deck, which will plummet to the earth getting said Woody soaking wet which will make me laugh until I wet myself," Zack chuckled as he explained his plan to me.

"Say which one more time, and people will wonder, which end is which," I said annoyed.

Why was I in a bitter mood, you may ask? Well, Justin and I were going through a rough patch, and honestly. It's been meaning to happen. We've come to terms that the time differences aren't helping us, and the extremely long distance was killing us. Plus, I'm pretty sure that there's a girl who moved in near him, but he won't admit anything to me. But when I hear a particular voice, he always rushes me off the phone.

I looked over where Zack had the platter of free goodies, and a girl exclaimed.

"This somebody's idea of a joke?!" She shouted, soaked in water.

"What is going on here?" Mr. Moseby asked as he walked up to me, Zack, and Woody.

"Uhh, Zack just drenched Becky Muldoon," I answered, startled as to what was going to happen next, "She's captain of the wrestling team - And I mean the boys' wrestling team." Normally, people didn't scare me. However, Becky was one of those few that were terrifying.

"Who did this?!" Becky asked.

Mr. Moseby, Woody, and I all pointed to Zack.

"I-I-I can explain," Zack studdered as he walked up to her.

Becky grabbed Zack by the collar of his shirt, "You can explain after I beat you into tiny Zack pieces."

Mr. Moseby carefully walked over, muttering some gibberish. "Ahh, Miss Muldoon, will you please put Zack down?"Without any hesitation, Becky dropped him. "Ah, uh, thank you," Mr. Moseby mumbled.

I looked over at my phone and saw a text from Justin:

'Hey, Esme. I think we need to talk. Are you able to Skype?'

I sighed as I looked at my phone. I didn't know whether to run to my room to get it all sorted or walk to thinking about what to say. I walked to my room and opened up my Skype.

"So what's up, Justin?" I asked. The growing feeling in my gut was getting worse.

"Uh, well. Let me at least start with a formality. How's your day been?" Justin asked.

I raised my eyebrow at the way Justin stumbled. "My day has been fine so far. Justin, please. I'm done wanting to beat around the bush. Just tell me what you want to tell me. I can't take it anymore," I answered.

A sigh came from Justin. "Okay, okay. Esme, you do have every right. I just wish we didn't have to do this over a video chat," Justin took a deep breath, "Esme, you're an amazing girl. One in a million. Beyond kind, and extremely caring and passionate. I think we've noticed that this long distance and different time changes are taking a toll on us."

"Anndd... Justin, spit it out already," I said.

"I think you've noticed and heard her a couple of times, but there's a girl that just moved into my town. And she and I have a wonderful connection. And I want to explore that. And it wouldn't be fair to us to keep each other from holding out. It'd be different if you were here or I were there, but this is what we're stuck with. Esme Stark, I'm sorry, but I think we should break up," Justin said.

"You think? Justin, you did. You broke up with me. Just now. There was no thinking about this subject," I said. "I mean, if you want to, we can remain friends. Otherwise, I hope you're happy with this new girl."

"Thank you, Esme. I wish you the best of luck. I hope everything goes safely with the cruise and school goes well," Justin said before he hung up.

I sat there, looking at the blank wall in front of me. I closed my laptop and started to feel my breathing becoming heavy. I felt tears coming through my eyes.

I couldn't tell how much time really passed through, but all I knew is that I was heartbroken and I was alone at this moment and time.

I got up out of my room and walked over to the Easy Squeezy. I mean, as I walked through the hallways, I heard that Zack was dating Becky. And if I wasn't in this down mood, I'd be really surprised.

I sat down at the Easy Squeezy.

"Oh, no," Zack said softly. "Esme, what happened?"

I looked at Zack with sad eyes. "Zack, you know exactly what happened," I took a deep breath, "Justin broke up with me. And I guess I'm not really taking it well."

Zack walked from behind the bar and hugged me. And that's when I broke. I really started crying and hugged Zack back. Zack rubbed my back and hugged me.

"Hey, how about I help you a little bit by getting you your favorite smoothie? Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie, right?" Zack asked.

"Honestly, that sounds really good," I said with a soft chuckle, "Thank you so much, Zack. I really do mean it. You're a really good friend. You're the sweetest."