Chapter 4. Science Project Gone Wrong

꧁༺ 𝓢𝓸𝓷𝓰 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 ༻꧂

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

I couldn't believe how amazing the Galapagos islands were. Just stunning. The nature of it all. From the animals to the floral aspects of it.

I mean, not that the beauty of the islands didn't distract me from my science project.

For mine? It was seeing how cornflowers grow with different types of music. One is listening to heavy metal, one is listening to classical, and then the last one is listening to country music.

I paused all of the music and took notes of each plant. The ones that were listening to classical and country were growing much better than the one that was listening to heavy metal.

I had heard through the grapevine that London, Zack, and Woody waited until the last second to do their project. I would have offered to let Zack sign onto mine, but in honestly, I didn't. If he had come to me beforehand, I would have let him, but he didn't. Was it crappy of me to leave him to dry? Maybe. But at the same time, I didn't really mind.

I walked out of my room and was surprised to see Zack carrying a bunch of supplies.

"What are you doing with that, Zack?" I asked, really confused.

"Oh, sup, Esme?" Zack asked. He looked back down at the box, "Oh, my science project with London and Woody."

I looked inside the box and saw the cheesecake. "What's with the cheesecake?" I asked, almost with a chuckle.

"Around midnight, I get hungry," Zack explained plainly.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Okay, okay. That's a completely fair point. But you're really waiting until tonight to do all of this?" I asked.

"Yeah," Zack dragged his words, "That's probably why I should get going to get all of this started. If you want, you can stop by Cody and Woody's room. That's where we're doing the project."

I nodded at the information. "I'll make sure to keep that in mind, Zack. Good luck on your project," I said with a smile.

"Thanks, Essie!" Zack shouted as he started rushing to Cody and Woody's room.

I chuckled as I shook my head. I started going back into my room. I covered all of the plants and played each music to their private greenhouses. Bored out of my mind, I grabbed one of my handheld gaming systems and began playing my game.

I had nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard fast pounding on my door. Then again, it didn't help that I was almost asleep. I quickly got out of my bed and opened the door.

"Hey, Bailey," I greeted while rubbing my eyes, "What's up?"

"This project with Cody is ridiculous and stupid. I know you've had yours pretty much done since yesterday, but can I join yours? I completely get it if you say no," Bailey said as she came into my room and sat down on my bed.

I thought about it for a brief moment. "It's about that Galapagos Gurdy, right?"

Bailey nodded.

"Bailey, you do realize not every science project is going to prove something correct, right? I mean, you guys had a hypothesis about Galapagos Gurdy being real. You tested your theory by having the underwater camera and fishing for her. Your conclusion? She's not real," I explained before I sat on the bed with her. "Maybe you should talk with Cody first before agreeing to doing a project with me?"

I could tell my words were getting to Bailey. I watched as she slowly nodded, "Thanks, Esme. I really appreciate the quick wisdom. You know, most people would have just said, 'Yeah, go ahead. Slap your name on there.'"

I chuckled, "Most people. I am not one of those people. Besides, sometimes your thoughts get clouded when you're mad at someone. You just needed somebody to talk ya through it."