The Sudden Message

The next morning, Tankan banged upon Edward's door to awaken him. Several minutes passed as the commander called to the prince inside without any answer. Zoey opened her door to glare at Tankan down the hall, but he took no notice of her.

"Prince Edward!" he continued to call. "Come out of that room this instant before I break down the door!"

"Alright, alright! I'm up, I'm up!" the prince yelled in reply. He opened the door and glared at the man who towered before him. His usually tousled hair was especially messy, and a chalky white trail on his left cheek betrayed where he had drooled in the night. The sleep had not yet left his eyes either, leaving little patches of gunk around the barely open lids.

"Finally. Did you think you could get out of our morning routine?"

Edward rubbed his eyes awake and pushed his hair down. "I did not forget. You said we would take a break today."

"Oh yes, I did..." Tankan mused. "You know, the enemy takes no breaks, Prince Edward. If you truly thought I spoke the truth—"

"Noah, perfect timing! This man is harassing me, tell him to leave."

The knight who had entered the hall allowed a brief smile as he neared. By the time Tankan turned, however, Noah's face had assumed a serious and threatening expression.

"Oi," he said, placing a firm hand upon Tankan's shoulder. "How might I help 'ere?"

"Do not touch me," Tankan answered, throwing the knight's hand away.

Zoey blinked and both men had their swords drawn. Edward took this moment and retreated into his room to change clothes.

"You know not whom you challenge," Calcasia's military leader asserted.

"Contrary," answered Noah. "Ye seek for yerself an early death."

The men glared at one another for a long minute. Then Noah suddenly burst into laughter and sheathed his sword. Tankan raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"Ye give not the prince the credit he has earned," the knight exclaimed. "Dear leader of all Calcasian might, Edward foresaw this action of yers and asked I help 'guard' 'im." On a sudden solemn note, he added, "My timing is far less convenient than this."

Edward opened his room door and said, "The enemy takes no breaks, Tankan. Being prepared means different things to different people.

For several more moments, Tankan still could not quite grasp all that just happened. This caused Noah and Edward to laugh even harder until the two held their sides and tears ran from their eyes. By this time, Tankan understood. Although his eyes shimmered with pride, his cheeks turned bright red in embarrassment and anger. He sheathed his sword with a huff and marched away, stating, "You've earned this break."

"Well done, lad!" Noah congratulated. "If e'er ye need help again, I'll offer it as readily as though ye were my master Kevin."

"Thank you, Noah." As the knight walked away, Edward joined Zoey at her doorway. "Sorry to wake you."

"It wasn't you," she returned with a sigh. She debated whether or not to go back to bed but decided it was better to just stay up at this point. Her mind roamed back to the night before, when Edward had warmed her, and she blushed. The prince, however, took no notice, as he was greeting Orrick, who emerged from the girl's room with a yawn and a stretch. Zoey half wondered when he had joined her in the bed.

A loud crash suddenly interrupted the morning. Den's door fell open and the boy stumbled into the hallway, exclaiming, "Für das gaol...!"

"Everything okay, Den?" Edward asked.