Bonus Scene

Edward stood against the wall and stared at Zoey, unsure what exactly to look for. She lay peacefully on her back, an almost smile lifting her otherwise grieved face. Sighing, he approached the bedside and leaned over her to examine her shoulder. A fleshy pink scar stood raised upon the healing wound but it was otherwise unchanged from before. Or at least, he assumed it was unchanged.

His chest tightened as he realised just how close he was to her. Despite the flutter in his heart, Edward carefully shoved her over to make some space for him, and he laid her head in his lap. Her bangs fell around his face, a portion of them turning white from the roots. He hadn't noticed that before. What caused it, he wondered. Leaning in close, his nose brushed against hers for a moment. He sat up sharply as if waking from a dream.

"What are you doing!" the prince hissed to himself. He returned Zoey to her original position and left the room, closing the door behind him. He sat against the wood and rubbed his face, trying to smother the strange thoughts that had just passed through his head.

Are you okay?

Edward jumped. Looking around, he assured himself that he was alone. Perhaps he had just imagined—

Amusement filled his thoughts, vaguely fought by his increasing panic. You've forgotten already.

This time, the prince knew for certain the words came from within his head. F-forgot what? he replied softly, afraid that he might be losing his mind.

I paired us. We can communicate psychically now.

... Smoke?!

No, the departed spirit of your great-grandfather.

H-how? I cannot see you!

You don't have to see me. There is a limit to how far apart we can reach, but we needn't be in the same room.

Incredible!

You don't know much about dragons, do you?

The Sky Knights do not share their secrets readily, I am discovering.

Edward laughed, even though he himself did not feel much amusement. Smoke's emotions were much stronger than his, making it difficult to maintain a sense of identity. He mentally retreated, and sensing the hesitation, Smoke quickly pulled away, relieving pressure from the prince's mind.

Sorry, the dragon said. Master Arlene said pairs are difficult the first couple months. I suppose I should have waited until we were both ready. Got a bit excited finding my kindred soul.

Kindred soul, you say. What makes you so sure?

I'm not really. I just... knew somehow. From the moment we met, I knew you were the one.

Well, I am honoured to be chosen. But as you say, it is difficult. Your emotions swallow mine so strongly, I could easily lose myself in your thoughts.

Yes, but you are of a strong mind. I can sense it. Aurlin wants to make sure you are okay and Zoey is well.

She is, and I am. I will be down shortly. Edward could feel Smoke's presence retreat further, allowing him to openly think without fear of another listening. He quickly peeked into Zoey's room again, confirmed that she still had not twitched from her position, and returned to the campfire. Grenua silently passed him a roasted fish, which he made short work of.

Smoke?

Yes, your highness?

We should establish some rules between us. Just to make sure we don't accidentally hurt each other.

Of course. Boundaries are especially important in this kind of relationship.

I'm glad you understand. First thing's first. Do not call me your highness, or prince, or any term of respect. We are equals now.

Dragon and prince spent the rest of the night talking. Both knew their friendship would never end, at least while either drew breath.