Ten-10

Short Chapter

[This book hasn't been updated in 3 years. I think. Oh, wow. Treacherous fans, I apologize. 🩷]

Moving around was getting easy for Lucky. Slowly but surely, she was developing strength in her legs. The young woman was able to move around the house with her cane, but she preferred walking without it.

The young woman used her kitchen knife to smash the garlic. After doing so, she minced the herb and tossed it inside a bowl filled with other ingredients. Next, she began to cut the bell pepper into small pieces. Abruptly, she was interrupted by her sister. Briana sauntered inside with a package in her hand as she cheesed away.

"What the hell?" Lucky cursed while furrowing her brows. She didn't understand why her sister was smiling so hard at her.

"Lucky, it's here. Finally." Briana continued as she did a little dance. She was dressed in a regular shirt with sweatpants. Her long, knotless braids were pinned into a neat ponytail.

"Is that your diploma?" Lucky guessed. She knew that her sister recently finished school and was looking for her high school diploma in the mail. Lucky was happy for her sister. Briana was still dealing with the death of her baby girl, and yet she managed to pull through and obtain her high school diploma. Lucky was a proud big sister.

Briana opened the box and revealed her diploma. She showed it off to her sister with a huge smile. "Yes." She held up the maroon cover and lifted the flap. Briana allowed her to read the decorative elements listed on the paper.

Lucky nodded, feeling satisfied with the educational proof. A slight smirk etched across her face as she glanced at the chopping board. She aligned the green peppers neatly and continued chopping them like an expert.

"What are you going to do with your life?" She questioned her sister out of nosiness. Lucky wanted to see where her sister's mind was. Lately, she'd been juggling two men, and from what Lucky could infer, that was the only thing she had going on.

"I'm still deciding..." Briana shrugged as she closed her diploma and placed it on the counter. She leaned against the surface and eyed her sister, who was still chopping veggies. "I don't know what I want to do."

"You better think of something—time is ticking," Lucky replied without hesitating.

"Well, how am I supposed to do anything if we're still on the run?" Briana quizzed her sister with widened eyes. "There isn't much I can do."

Lucky froze for a moment. She was trying to process what her sister was saying. They were on the run—that was true. However, they escaped and started a new life in a different state. North Dakota had a lot to offer, and Lucky wanted her sister to take advantage of it. She didn't want Briana to lounge around and let life pass her by.

Lucky witnessed so many women in the hood, allowing that to happen to them. They did nothing in their twenties, and by the time they're in their 30s, they have nothing to show. No way. Things would be different for Briana.

"There's a lot you can do," Lucky responded as she glanced at her sister. She held a subtle expression before speaking. "You can go to college. Get an advanced education, and...it won't hurt for you to stay on campus."

"I don't know..." Briana muttered while wrinkling her nose. "I hate school. I barely finished high school."

"You have to do something." Lucky shot her a look. "Even if you have to go to a community college—you don't need to be lazing around here."