Chapter 17

I decide to go for a walk in the afternoon the next day with Mimi and we run into Juli.

"What a coincidence that you are also going for a walk" I say when we meet.

"How lovely, I was hoping to get to see you today" She says and links her arm with mine.

"What were you doing today?" I ask.

"I wanted to show you my painting, I have painted the flowers in the garden as the weather is getting colder and soon they will be gone" She says sighing and she takes me to her house to show me the paintings.

"Wow these red flowers are so pretty, I have never learned how to paint, I am envious of your talent" I say.

"Well I can teach you if you want" She says smiling.

"Yes that would be so lovely" I say and she pulls out a new piece of paper and grabs a brush and starts showing me some easy strokes. I watch her, but I feel like I don't have the ability to follow what she showed me.

"Here I will give you some beginner paintings that you can try to copy," Juli says and hands Mimi some papers.

"Thank you, I will practice" I say and after a while after chatting I take my leave.

"My Lady, something seems strange about this Juli, I can't quite place what it is though?" Mimi says as we walk back to the house.

"Why do you say that? She has been nothing but kind and wonderful to me" I say.

"I don't know, I can't put my finger on it, but I think you should be careful of her" She says and I laugh and pat her shoulder.

"Don't worry you are still my best friend" I say thinking she is a bit jealous of my new friend.

I spent a couple of days practicing the paintings and sitting in the garden and enjoying the last of the warm weather.

"What are you doing?" I hear and look back and see Changwei standing over me.

"I am painting" I say and quickly cover up the papers.

"Where did you get these from?" He asks, pointing to Juli's paintings.

"From a friend named Juli" I say with uncertainty in my voice.

"What friend? Who is she?" He asks immediately.

"She is also a guest here, I don't know her that well, we have just chatted here and there" I say.

"Fine, I will look into her" He says.

"Please just stop doing that! I can take care of myself!" I say with a sudden outburst.

"Alright" He says and just walks into the house.

Later on Mimi comes and finds me for the evening meal and I follow her feeling nervous to eat with Changwei this evening. I sit down and the Changwei is already sitting at the table reviewing some papers. I sit down next to him and he doesn't react. I start eating and he keeps reading. Mimi urges him to eat so he puts down his papers and we eat in silence.

"Is there something wrong? Why does it feel so tense in here" Mimi says, laughing awkwardly. I take a piece of food and look over at Changwei who is eating calmly. I guess if he isn't nervous why should I be?

"Umm General," I say, interrupting the silence.

"Yes," He say looking over at me.

"I wrote a letter to Zi-Wei and Zi-Ming, I was wondering if you could post it for me" I say and he just nods his head, holds out his hand and I give him the letter. We finish eating in silence and as we are getting ready for bed I start to wonder if sleeping on the floor is too uncomfortable for him. The weather is changing and the nights are getting cold. I get into bed and Changwei comes soon after and makes his bed on the floor and lies down.