Introduction

1975

1975

"Did you get the scoop on Plant's car crash?" Mr. Lee was busy flipping through my notes from Rod Stewart's latest interview about his upcoming album.
"No, but I fly out tomorrow, so I'll probably discover something," I replied.
"Good. Make sure to get right on it," he said curtly, pushing my notes back and getting up to leave. He paced around the table once and came to pause by the window. "You weren't as thorough on the last article you wrote." He turned to face me with his hands in his pockets. He sighed. "Truth is, Beverly, you're losing your touch." He pointed to my notes. "Rock and roll is dying out and the board is on my back to try and spice it up. But the crap you're bringing me isn't helping." He waved his hand, which was my cue to get out of his office. I gathered my things and walked out to my desk. My deskmate Sharon looked up and asked, "Are you alright?" I didn't hear her. A young red headed woman walked by, her bell bottoms swishing. I watched her as she passed and with my heart racing I realized I was going out of style. Sharon was still watching me, concerned.
"I have to go get that story," I said determinedly. And with that I marched out of the building.