I've heavily made-up my eyes

May 1971

The phone rang again and I finished reading the paragraph before answering. The voice on the other end asked if I'd be interested in coming to photograph The Rolling Stones in tandem with their latest album. I accepted and prepared to leave the following day.

I arrived at the place and assisted in getting the final things set up for the photo shoot. We were outside under a covered breezeway, made of concrete, and had a great echo. The band arrived half an hour later. I could tell they weren't enthusiastic for the shoot, so I planned to keep it short. Charlie Watts had on an olive green suit, Bill Wyman a white suit. Mick Taylor was dressed in a light blue shirt and brown pants. Mick Jagger was in reddish suede pants, a maroon, velvet jacket, and had on a grey paper-boy cap. Keith was clad in a leather jacket and black and white checkered pants with red patches on the knees. I had them get in a line for a few pictures, but otherwise, I was able to catch them just being themselves.

At the end I thanked them for coming out and went to gather my things. They didn't leave right away and Mick Jagger leaned against the wall, while Keith and Charlie both lit up cigarettes. Bill Wyman came over and visited with me for a bit.

•••

July 30th, 1971

I drove down to see the Faces play at the Long Beach Arena. Rod's third solo album, 'Every Picture Tells A Story,' had been released at the end of May. I got there early enough that I was able to be in front, but the Faces ended up being an hour late. When they arrived, Ronnie Lane pulled the microphone down to him and said,
"Sorry we're late! Rod's hairdryer broke." Then they launched into 'Bad 'N' Ruin.' I was delighted to hear them play 'Richmond' as well. They sampled some of Rod's newest songs, including the now mega hit 'Maggie May.' I had secured a backstage pass, so afterwards I joined the band briefly. They were all drunk out of their heads, due to the fact that they had a bar onstage with them while they played. I didn't stay long and was able to find a local hotel to stay for the night.