Speak to me only with your eyes

Late Afternoon, May 17th, 1972

I left Casey's flat four days later and drove a rented car to Mick Jagger's Stargroves mansion where Led Zeppelin was recording their fifth album. The car rolled up the drive and dropped me off at the front entrance. As the car pulled away I admired the great house. I walked inside and looked around for the guys. It was very quiet and I continued wandering around. I concluded my search back downstairs in the kitchen. I walked to the door and found myself outside staring at the side of a green camouflage truck. The two tiny windows facing me were covered up so I made my way to the back of the truck. John Paul saw me first and said hello. Crammed inside with John Paul was Jimmy Page and Eddie Kramer, who was engineering the sessions, and I was introduced to him.
"Robert and Bonzo went to the pub in Woolton Hill," John Paul said. "There's a place over there if you want to squeeze in," he said pointing. I nodded and he got up and offered me a hand to help me in. I perched on the ledge near the edge of the truck.
"Play that part again," Jimmy said to Eddie. Eddie pressed a button and I heard the sound of tape being rewound. Then, the swirly sound of a keyboard was emitted from the playback speakers. I leaned in closer to hear it better.

May 19th

Today was a particularly fine day and Eddie jumped at the chance to record outside. I helped him set up the recording equipment and string the cords to hook up to the guitars and microphones. Everyone was in a fine mood, including Bonzo, despite our bristly interaction last time we were together at Headley Grange. They started right away recording 'The Rover." It had quite a swaggering beginning, clocking in at over a minute.

Eddie climbed out of the truck and told the band he was going to have a quick listen to the tapes and the band should take a break. Jimmy murmured something to Robert who was next to him. He looked over, a smile spreading across his face. Jimmy jumped up, dropping his guitar, and raced towards the house. Robert leapt up and tore after him. Jonesy let out a laugh and ran after them, followed closely by Bonzo. I reached for my camera next to me and got it ready to take pictures. I stood up and strode over to where they had run to, on the other side of the mobile studio.
"I'm coming for you Pagey!" I watched as Robert ran at Jimmy. They collided, Jimmy throwing a playful, but rough punch at Robert. He ducked out of the way and Jonesy ran at Jimmy, who actually turned around to taunt him. Robert advanced on Bonzo, who remained stock still. They had a brief staring contest before Bonzo poked Robert in the stomach. I had been snapping pictures so far of them fooling around.
"Bevie! Join in on the fun darling!" Robert called to me. I looked at him above the rim of the camera. I shook my head, grinning behind the camera so he couldn't see.
"Chaps, I think she outta be running around with us. What do you think?" He said with his hands on his hips. Before I could answer, I felt myself lifted up and thrown over a shoulder. I shrieked, holding tight to my camera, which had stayed hanging around my neck (thank God!). I heard laughter coming from where my legs were gripped tightly, and I guessed by the slight rasp that it was Jimmy.
"Jimmy! Put me down!" I cried, my hand braced against his back to keep my head from bouncing hard with the rhythm of his running. Instead of putting me down he spun around, so I gave up and let myself hang there. When he did set me down I couldn't find my footing and fell hard on the grass. I looked up a bit dazed and could see Jimmy doubled over with laughter. I pushed my hair out of my face and stood up. Jonesy and Robert were racing each other back towards the mobile studio, while Bonzo had lit up a cigar, and was contentedly watching them with Eddie. We walked over to join them as Robert and Jonesy reached us, Jonesy coming in a close second.

They gathered again to record 'Never Ending Doubting Woman Blues,' (this was the working title for what became 'Black Country Woman'). I had one of the earbuds that connected to the recording equipment in my ear. Eddie said I could listen in because I was outside with the band.
"Shall we roll it, Jimmy? We're rolling on, what, one? No, one again?" I heard Eddie say. I was sitting on the grass at Jimmy's feet and I shielded my eyes to look up at the plane flying overhead. Robert let out a short laugh.
"Got to get this airplane off," Eddie said.
"Naw, leave it, yeah," Robert replied with a smile and started singing.

May 20th

Jimmy finished tuning his guitar and Bonzo twirled his drumsticks.
"Whenever you're ready," Eddie called from the side of the mobile studio and then ducked back inside.
"We've done four already but now we're steady
And then they went: One, two, three, four," Bonzo said.

May 21st

I came back from running some errands in the afternoon. It had been raining all morning, but by the time I made it back, it was absolutely dumping. Jonsey was on the phone, Robert and Bonzo were in the living room playing cards, and Eddie was outside in the mobile studio. I went searching for Jimmy and found him writing in the conservatory. The rain beat against the windows, determined to get in, and fog had begun to accumulate at the edges.
"What are you writing?" I asked sitting down next to him.
"Just finishing the 'Slush' song," he replied, crossing out a line of chords. "George Harrison said we can't write ballads." He looked at me with his eyebrows raised. "And I'm about to prove him wrong." I nodded, pressing my lips together to hide a smile. I kept him company for a bit longer before Robert burst in, huffing about how Bonzo had beaten him. He grabbed a cushion and flopped on the ground in front of us.
"Take a look at this Planty," Jimmy said, tossing the paper to Robert. He pulled his guitar onto his lap from beside him and began strumming. Robert rolled over into his stomach and listened, resting his chin on one hand and holding the paper in another.
"Give me the pen, will you," Robert said, holding out his hand. I handed the pen to him and he began to write.

I heard Robert calling to me from the kitchen where I was helping the cook clean up dinner.
"I'll be there in a minute!" I shouted and wiped the last plates dry before putting them away in the cupboard. I went to the living room where all the furniture had been pushed to the sides. Jimmy had his guitar and was strumming in an armchair, but everyone else was standing in the middle of the room in a line. Eddie counted off and they started doing a dance. I watched, unsure what to do. I applauded appreciatively when they finished and Robert asked,
"Bevie, what do you think of that?" I said it was excellent.
"We want to put dance steps on the album," Jonesy said grinning. Next thing I knew, I was doing the dance steps with Robert and Bonzo, while Jonesy and Eddie looked on.
"Go to my right," Bonzo said. I did the next few steps and went to right like he said.
"Quit stepping on my feet Planty!" Bonzo growled at Robert, giving him the elbow. "Now, to the left," Bonzo said, grabbing my hand and pulling me left. I went left and ran into Robert.
"Bevie, what are running into me for?" Robert asked, spinning me in a twirl. I rolled my eyes and heard Bonzo say,
"Try again." Robert hid a grin and we got into the first positions again. Eddie rewound the tape and the song began again. There was more shuffling and elbowing, and we didn't even make it to the first chorus before Bonzo shouted,
"Wrong way again, Planty!"