Madison Square Garden

July 27th - 29th, 1973

We flew from Pittsburgh to JFK airport in New York, arriving in the evening on July 25th. Aboard the Starship, including the band, was Peter Grant, Richard Cole, the roadies, and a couple reporters. Everyone was spread out through the length of the plane. I sat quietly on the couch watching and observing everyone, and drafting my article for the upcoming nights. I glanced up to watch Jimmy talking with one of the roadies. He had on a sea green silk shirt, barely buttoned, and dark jeans. He caught me staring and I ducked my head and went back to writing.

When we landed, I was one of the first people off and I was able to get pictures of them exiting the plane.

Rock And Roll

I stood to the right of the stage, hidden slightly by the equipment to watch as Led Zeppelin opened the concert at Madison Square Garden. Jimmy wore his black velvet moon pants with a dragon embroidered up the right leg and a black velvet jacket, with silver lapels and tassels hanging from his shoulders. Robert had on a blue blouse with puffed sleeves and tight jeans that sat as low as they could go on his hips, with a dove stitched below his right pocket. Jonesy had on his special velvet jacket with puffed apples stuck on the sides of his sleeves. Bonzo had on a black shirt, white pants, and a bedazzled headband to keep the hair and future sweat from his face.

The anticipation in the room was unreal and the audience stamped their feet impatiently, waiting for the show to begin... And begin it did! Bonzo tapped out the beat and then light burst onto the stage. Robert took the front, Jimmy did fancy footwork, and the crowd went wild.

"It's been a long time, been a long time
Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time
Yes, it has." I saw Jimmy mouthing "lonely, lonely, lonely," along with Robert as he sang.

Black Dog

Jimmy jammed into the 'Bring It On Home' intro and with a look to Robert, who sang into the microphone, "Hey hey mama said the way you move. Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove." He danced backwards towards the drums, then came back to the front: "Ah, ah, child, way you shake that thing. Gonna make you burn, gonna make you sting."

Robert faced the audience and sang out, "Ah ah," and then threw his arm out towards the audience, who enthusiastically imitated him. Three times he did this, then raised the frequency with the final "ahhh."

They finished with a bang and Robert said, "Whoa! Good evening."

•••

I went back to my room after the first night and tried to get some sleep. Casey would be flying in tomorrow at 11:00.

The next day I went to pick him up from JFK Airport. I looked for his dark, shaggy head amongst the people leaving the plane. Finally he appeared and I was met with a happy hello and a hug. The second night of the concert began at 7:00, so I let Casey rest most of the day, because the poor guy was suffering from jet lag. Around 3:00, the telephone rang shrilly. I jumped up and quickly picked it up, hoping it didn't wake Casey.
"Bevie, I am bored to tears. Where're you at?" I heard Jimmy say on the other end. I stifled a laugh, knowing full well he wasn't going to die of boredom.
"I'm here in my room," I began. "I had a friend fly in this morning and he's staying here with me."
"He?" Jimmy asked. I glanced around the corner to see if Casey was still asleep. He was absolutely crashed.
"I met him in England about two and a half years ago. I see him on and off whenever I go over there," I said. "And he's coming to the concert tonight," I added. There was no reply and I checked to be sure Jimmy was still on the line. "Do you want to meet him?" I asked, hoping I hadn't done something wrong by inviting him.
"Maybe. I'll see how exhausted I am later," he said quickly and then hung up. I put the phone down on the receiver and went back to read on the chair across from the couch.