Come Down

Late February, 1971

I departed from Headley Grange and headed to the southern coast of England. I bundled up and got a bite to eat at a local cafe. I wandered down the street and music reached my ears. I followed the sound and found myself before small club called "Watered Down." I smiled and went in. People were crowded inside and there was lots of laughing and glasses clinking. I weaved through the crowd and eventually was at the front by the stage. A portly man came on and began to introduce the next band.
"Ladies and gentlemen, the band 'Come Down'." There was a smattering of applause and a tall, dark haired guy, with a guitar slung across him came out, followed by a blond curly haired man who took a seat behind the drum kit. A slim red headed fellow, wearing a purple velvet jacket, walked out, along with another with the final bandmate, who took the bass from its stand.
"Good evening, Aldwick!" The lead singer said into the mic. "Tonight, we're starting off with a number called, 'Spoonful'." They took off, stretching the song to almost seven minutes. They played mostly blues covers and by the time they finished their fourth sing, I found I had been pushed even closer to the front. I was surrounded by tons of English girls, shaking their hair, and dancing in front of the stage. I looked at the lead singer. He was very attractive, with his shock of red hair... but he wasn't quite my type. Naturally, the drummer and bass player didn't catch my eye at all. Then I shifted my vision to the guitarist, who was closest to me. He could play the guitar quite well and filled the space. They finished and the portly man came back on to introduce the next band, but the audience began shouting for an encore. He looked around at the guys who shrugged and made the move to continue to play. The guitarist turned and crouched to adjust the dials on his amp. A girl shrieked and he paused, turning to look. But as he was turning he saw me and stopped. I smiled and he gave me a hesitant smile back. After watching them for a few more songs, I retreated to the side of the club and sat at a table. I pulled out my notes from the Headley Grange session and continued my work.

"What are you writing?" I looked up to find the guitarist in front of me.
"I'm finishing my notes for my article," I said. "I write for 'Rock Star Reads'."
"Groovy," he said. "Is it an American magazine?" I nodded and stuck out my hand to shake.
"I'm Beverly Madden," I said.
"Casey Ladner," he replied, shaking my hand. He pulled a chair up to the table and straddled it. I had so many questions to ask him, so I started with,
"Is this your first band?" He shook his head.
"Nah, I was in three others before this. My buddy," he gestured behind him to where the red headed guy and the bass player were talking to a group of girls. "We've known each other since we were kids. I think we formed our first band when I was sixteen." He said, squinting his eyes to the ceiling. I talked with him for the next hour and a half, but it was getting late and I had to get ready to catch a plane in the morning. He followed me to the door.
"When are you coming back to England?" He asked. I wasn't sure, so he snatched a napkin and scribbled his number down. "Call me if you decide to visit again." I nodded and said goodnight.