Talkshow

Words spilled so easily from Al’s lips as he leaned into the microphone, eyes closed as he relaxed into his new position. He did not need the script, and ever conversational, he spoke of local gossip and about a new song that came out from a hometown singer. His voice was a practical hum as he excitedly got to move onto his formal introduction segment, one where his hero, Vincent, had joined him. The younger man sat up in his chair, lips ever close to his own microphone as he spoke, “Wasn’t it a delight everyone? I told you all that we would love Alastor!”

“Awe, you’re making me blush,” Al tutted, scratching his cheek bashfully as his eyes peered over at the other host, “You know how many nights I dreamed of hearing you even say my name, let alone talking directly about me to the whole of Louisiana!” 

“You’re slaying me, Al! Don’t act so shy, you know you deserve the job.” Vince leaned forward upon his palm, eyes glued to the newer host as he looked him up and down, “Now, let’s get a little music break in before our next segment. We’re going to be talking about my new television show, so buckle in and stay tuned!”

“Yes, you wouldn’t want to miss this total live wire!” Al sang as he effortlessly moved his fingers, switching the station to music mode and turning off their voices so that the audience wouldn’t hear them over the songs that they had selected for the day.

Both men sat back in their chairs for a moment, drinking some water and straightening their ties as they righted themselves once again. Then, once they felt refreshed, they looked towards one another, almost in unison. Vincent was the first to break their silence, his voice low and genuine, “I am so glad you joined us when you did. I haven’t had such a wonderful time around this place in a while. Almost makes me want to stay.”

“You won’t be far, I suppose.” Al smiled at the man, hands neatly folded in his lap as he lightly moved his chair back and forth on the swivel, “Just next door.”

“Might be a bit far.” Vince scooted his own chair over, pressing his knees into Alastor’s in a cheeky way, eyebrows raised as his blue eyes flared with an emotion Al couldn’t quite read, “You should consider following me over, we could take over America’s television industry pretty easily.” Adjusting his glasses, the host almost purred, “You’ve got the perfect face for the pictures.”

“Ah, I disagree.” Al reached up to touch his own face, cheeks burning from the complement, “I think the public would be upset with my complexion. It doesn’t look right in black and white. Makes me look positively dark.”

“I like your skin.” Vincent’s flirts were now getting to be obvious to the man, making him look away shyly, not really prepared to be hit on by his favorite radio star.

He didn’t know what to say, and Hell it made his stomach twist and turn just like it had with Lucifer beforehand. He fidgeted with his fingers now, tapping them together as he tried to worm his way out of this conversation. He had just gotten his guts rearranged by the devil that morning, as their little playdates were growing in intensity, and he did not know if he really needed to have it done to him more than once in a day. Besides, he didn’t think the devil would be one to share. Alastor didn’t know if he wanted to be like a soup, used to dip bread in and serve around a table of sin. That was a good one, he focused, that could do well in his book.

Vincent seemed to notice that he had pushed a little too hard, and with the elegance of a man who had a bit too much desperation, he leaned forward, face a bit too close to Al’s, “I get it. You’re intimidated by me, I am technically your boss. I’ll take it a bit slower for now, and when you’re ready we can talk about an upgrade. Let’s start with dinner, h’m? I’ll get you in contact with my secretary, and she’ll get us settled. How does that sound?”