Dinner Date

Alastor had run away. He ran away from the truth, and he ran away from Lucifer. There was nowhere he would be able to hide from the king, but he ran anyway still. He moved until his legs no longer wanted to budge, sinking down onto the asphalt of a long road, hands scraping against its harsh surface as he caught his breath. He felt like he was going to vomit. He had admitted his misscarriage. He had found out the truth about Lilith. It was all too much, his body shifting again, trying to outgrow itself, to become too big to be hurt again. But then a hand on his back made him snap out of it, already at least two feet taller as he resisted the urge to rip out his hair again. Shrinking back down to normal, he grabbed ahold of the shadow’s hand, burying his face into it for comfort. It was cold, but with how he felt, it was somehow delightful. 

The shadow had pet between his ears, kneeling down in front of his form, the smile on it’s face was sincere. It was trying to tell him that it would be okay. He didn’t agree, but he had to smile anyway. Like a mirror, they just smiled at one another as the shadow began to clear away his pesky tears. Then, it tilted it’s head, indicating for him to look, so he did. Just as his eyes shifted over, headlights filled his vision, and momentarily he was dazed, sitting frozen. He would have tried to hide from the car, or at least tried to get out of the way, but he couldn’t. He sat still, accepting anything that would happen. But nothing did. The car stopped, and the door opened, a familiar voice filling his ears as it rang through the air, “Alastor? What are you doing here?”

“M-my lady…” It was Lilith, that crushing feeling returning to his stomach, twisting it, turning it terribly, “I’m sorry, I seem to have been sleep walking.” He lied through his teeth.

“Well… come in. We’ve got places to be.” Lilith called to him, and so he listened, standing and climbing into the back, sitting in his designated space, far away from the queen herself, but facing her.

She looked him up and down, seeming dissatisfied. Snapping her fingers, suddenly Alastor was dressed in a long black dress, with white detailing and long bell sleeves. He looked it over, the velvet of the body of the garment comforting against his fur. It hugged him in just the right ways, and smelled divine. He couldn’t help but put a sleeve up to his nose, inhaling the oddly familiar smell, “Where are we going, madam? J'ai eu une longue journée.”

“I was on my way home, but then I received word that the angels wish to arrange a meeting with me to discuss my latest project. You are a big part of said work, so it actually works well that I have found you. Otherwise I might have sent for you, if my shadow was cooperating a bit more.” She squinted at the creature, which seemed to look away, mimicking the phrase, I couldn’t possibly know what you’re talking about.

She sighed, sipping her expensive looking champagne from a flute, seemingly exasperated, “They tend to not take my word as seriously in Heaven. So I am hopeful that this mission will get their attention.”

“What is the mission, love?” Alastor hummed, having no idea what her ultimate goal was, just knowing that he had promised to try and fulfill it.

Lilith looked down at the sinner, tension rising in the air as she smiled, “Why, we’re just messing with the natural order around here. Seeing what Sinners do with chaos. Nothing more.”

“Of course, my dear.” Alastor nodded, not really seeing the point in such a needless goal, but as a creature of chaos himself, he decided that the answer was good enough.

He knew he would hear her fully explain it later on anyway. There was no need for the demon to pry. That would be too dangerous anyway. Especially since he knew who this woman was now. The ultimate authority under Lucifer, second best, the lady of Hell herself. It hurt to admit that she was beautiful and strong, but he had admired her from the day that she had given him his new life. It would be a lie to say that he wasn’t at least devoted to her in a way, extremely thankful for her intervention in so many ways. Hell, his soul was literally in her possession. Nothing he did would take away that fact. A decision made in desperation that had paid off immensely. Just that last detail still clung to him. Like a parasite, ready to drain him of the last of his sanity.