Respite Reemergence

Morning came and went, but neither sinner felt like getting up from their comfort. The shadow sort of acted as their carer, bringing them snacks and coffee to start their day, then also sitting upon the bed at their feet, watching them with big empty eyes as they held onto one another. 

Husk, who had completely melted into his shitty mattress, had feared that if he had let go of Alastor that he would wander off and inevitably into trouble, so he held him to his chest, purring to keep him calm in his embrace. His tactics surprisingly had worked, and Alastor had calmly enjoyed the noise for the longest time.  

Then they briefly talked about their time in Hell. Spoke about all of the shit they had both experienced. Alastor even let slip about how he had been treated at first. How he had spent so long in a dark room, waiting to die all over again. Husk felt his anger rise, but he knew it was far too late for him to do much of anything to fix the mess that was Alastor’s introduction into the afterlife. So, silently; he promised to keep him safe now. He would do whatever it took to make sure Alastor never felt so out of control ever again. Though, he also fully knew that Al had a knack for getting into such trouble. He was well aware that eventually things would happen. Already, he mourned those days. 

Then their peace ended as the shadow returned once again, not with anything for them to eat or drink, but instead with a letter. Al sat up slowly, stretching his arms over his head with a soft squeak before he reached over to grab the parchment. Husk looked started from the noise, as it made his image of Alastor soften even more.

Once Al had confirmed that the letter was indeed from his mistress, he opened it. Again, he was congratulated for finishing off the overlord assigned. It said that he was surpassing expectations, and that Lilith was proud to have him as one of her own. He let that bounce around his head for a moment, briefly wondering how many souls she had in her possession. Then, he read the conclusion, looking over the familiar picture of Bog, the oil tycoon demon. He was a many of few words, but he was loaded from his business venture. Al knew, with all of his sharp teeth and huge claws that he could be a challenge, but he was sure he would make child’s play of it now that he was level headed again. No more heat meant so much more productivity, and as long as Lilith kept contacting him at this speed, then he would not have to worry about another incident like last time.

“Why do ya got a picture of Bog?” Husk finally worked up the nerve to ask, “A fan club or someth’n?”

Alastor briefly considered the ins and outs of such a fan club, though he really hoped nothing of the sort existed as Bog himself was a bit nightmarish in appearance; and anyone wanting to fawn over him seemed rather outlandish, “No, just work. Don’t worry your pretty little whiskers about it.”

Husk opened his mouth to respond, but as he had; Alastor stood from the bed, again stretching to loosen his hips and back. He was mesmerized by the display, as he got an eyeful of the deer’s backside. Respectfully he was quiet about it, but raunchily, he watched nevertheless. 

Then the overlord hurried out of the room and into the living room, so the cat had to sprint somewhat to catch up to him. Though, it didn’t take long, as Al simply leaned over the desk, fiddling with the typewriter with a hum, his music sounding rather jazzy, eyes gleaming with delight, “I will pick up spare parts for this while I’m out. Maybe some oil. Definitely some paper.”

“Do… do ya have to leave?” Husk accidentally said out loud, his face becoming pure red as the words left his throat.

Alastor sat now, pulling one of the panels off of the machine as he looked it over, “Sadly, I have a duty to fulfill. You wouldn’t want to be stuck to me forever, don’t you have a job to do as well?”