Chapter 2 first year part 1

Harry smiled. He finally got his Hogwarts letter. He had been waiting for this for over two years. He had already read his parents' books, notebooks, letters, and anything else he could find. He had his Aunt drive him to the Leaky Cauldron every other week for books and potion ingredients. He explored the magical shops had to offer in those little alleys. His relatives didn't want to do it but after Harry reminded them what a wizard could do, he got his way. Harry always got his way after his Aunt's mistake of making him clean out the attic. She shouldn't have obeyed that letter from Albus Dumbledore to keep him beaten down and submissive. It was too bad that plan backfired on him. Harry didn't allow his relatives to beat him any longer.

Harry listened to the huge oaf go on and on about how wonderful Gryffindors were and how evil Slytherins were Harry buried his desire to kill the guy. Really, this was who Dumbledore sent to help him out. If he didn't know anything about the wizarding world he would be in serious trouble. This guy was too loyal to Dumbledore and an idiot to boot. Harry thought Hagrid was nice enough. However, a 3rd-year drop out to show a student around and help them get their items? Not to mention his less than subtle hint about picking up a package. He wondered if the moron could get any louder about it. Harry felt his patience was about to end when he finally got his ticket for the train and he stole his key back. How many times did he have to get new keys? He would wait until his next trip to Gringotts and he was going to fix that once and for all.

At the train station, Harry watched a blatant attempt to get him to befriend a group of red-haired fools. Wizards shouting out about platform 9 3/4 and where could it be when it was clear that they had students who were older than eleven. He went through the barrier and found a compartment wondering how long it would be before a redhead showed up. He wanted to place a bet with himself but decided against it and opened up one of his potions books.

The train hadn't even moved yet when his compartment door was opened. He received a very sad excuse of "no more empty compartments" from the red-head he was hoping wasn't in his year. He was sadly mistaken when said red-head went on and on and even asked to see his scar. He played along for a while until the door was opened again and this time by a girl asking about a toad. "If you lost a toad, don't you think opening these doors is going to enable him to escape?"

"I didn't think of that. I just wanted to help Neville out. My name is Hermione Granger."

"Harry Potter."

"Oh, I know all about you. I read those books that mentioned you, even your biography and your adventures."

"You know all about me? Tell me how could you possibly know about me? I haven't been in this world since I was fifteen months. How could I have possibly done those adventures as you call them? I have read those books and none of them have even a fraction of the truth. The only thing any of them got right is that my parents died when I was fifteen months. No one knows what happened. No one was left alive but I and I don't remember."

"Everyone knows He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named killed them." Ron gave the normal answer expected from a Dumbledore worshipper.

"Really? How? Was there a body? Was there anything to tell them that it was him? How do we know it wasn't his Death Eaters?" Harry answered.

"Because no one has seen him since." Ron's smug remark.

"Just because no one has seen him doesn't mean he is gone or that he did it. Ever hear of laying low? Ever hear of, if I am not seen, no one can be looking for me? No one has seen me for 10 years, yet here I am. How did anyone even know I was alive if no one saw me?" Harry smartly retorted.

Hermione and Ron didn't know what to say to that and just looked at Harry like he grew a fifth head. "You can't mean that." Hermione replied.

"Why?" Harry asked. "Because I believe if there is no evidence then it must not be true? You are a Muggle-born. Tell me do you convict a person without evidence? Isn't there a reason why we look for evidence in the first place?" Again he got no reply and they looked stumped for an answer. He was sure they would tell Dumbledore what he said and he didn't care. He could play the man's game and still not be an idiot.