Time to Let Go

Chapter 15

(Hugo POV)

"What has been holding you back up until this point on telling her how you feel? Is it because you are scared or is it because you don't actually like her but rather the idea of her?" Prince Cole stayed quiet for a moment thinking about my question. "T-t-this is ridiculous. O-of course I love Alice," Princess Alice then stepped in, "What do you love about me?" "Y-y-you're Alice, you are... you are... beautiful? and sweet?" He said the end like a question. Alice sighed, "That is nice but, that is not something you love about me. Tell me something that you love about me, something that I do that makes you smile like and idiot, something that makes all the crazy parts of life at the end of the day worth it?" She asked and he still couldn't think of a response. I couldn't help but think about Sofia she was so smart, kind and generous but, there was so much more to her. Her moral integrity and bravery and courage were amazing and she had the biggest heart I had ever seen. She seemed to know what to do and how to help everyone without ever wanting to ask for any help herself. All these parts of her made me smile but, her ability to let me in and let me break down all her walls like I can with her and we can be completely ourselves when we were together- that is what made all the crazy parts of life worth it at the end of the day.

"I think the young prince is right. You liked the idea of loving me because of some arranged marriage that was forced on both of us. And I think that when I ran away I hurt your pride and you convinced yourself that it was because you loved me that everything you were doing was justifiable." She went up to him and grabbed his hands, "I think you need to let go. Let go of this desperate need for control and all this suffering that you are forcing onto others." "I-I-I..." Prince Cole was bringing his hands to his head...

(Prince Cole POV) Flashback

"Son, you will be happy with Princess Alice and with her kingdom we will be able to expand our empire. She will be visiting today so you can spend a little more time together before the wedding in 3 days." My father was saying. I nodded my head, "I am sure we will be happy together. Thank you father." I left the throne room and saw my mother organizing her workshop. My father married her when they were young and later found out she was a witch and that I had powers as well. I continued walking and then I saw Princess Alice outside in the garden. "Hello Princess Alice," she turned to face me, "Hello Prince Cole. Care to take a walk?" I nodded in agreement. We walked next to each other in silence. We occasionally exchanged glances with one another. I broke the silence, "So what do you think of the palace?" "It's very nice," she whispered looking down at her hands. She was shy and sweet. We continued walking for a little longer and then we came back, "Until we meet again Princess Alice." I bowed down. She went down into a curtsey and then went home. I wouldn't get a chance to see her again until our wedding day. I think that we can be happy together at least I hope we can one day.

-day of the wedding-

I arrived at Alice's castle and was ready to get the wedding started. I walked up the steps of the palace and saw Princess Asteria. I bowed down, "Princess Asteria, is everything ready for the wedding?" She went down into a curtsey but then shook her head. "Prince Cole it appears that Princess Alice has runaway." I was shocked to hear this, "Why would she runaway? We are supposed to get married and form an alliance. Your father promised this to me and my kingdom." The princess sighed, "She was apparently in love with someone else and they ran away together." My anger was rising, "But we were meant to be together. She isn't supposed to love someone else. She is supposed to love me. Like how I love her." I felt my magic coursing through me,

"In a thousand years from this day, I will come to collect the debt your descendants will pay. A bride from you bloodline will be mine, until I have my intended bride. Her bloodline will only be only sons until one day when my final prize shall be won. Only a love truer than ours shall set her free or else my bride she will be."

My magic went loose and touched the entire kingdom of Achlys. Our kingdom needed to be preserved and taken care of until my bride came back. My mother and father didn't survive the casting of the spell and the rest of our empire was enclosed within the cinderblock palace as it burrowed itself into the ground.

(Hugo POV)

"Alice, I'm so tired of carrying around this hurt," he began. She smiled at him, "Then let it go. Let go of the spell, let go of the citizens in your kingdom, let go of everything." Magic began pouring out from his hands. I heard the fighting outside begin to stop as his soldiers dropped their weapons. The ground began to shake as the castle and a town made of stone emerged from the ground. I looked over at Prince Cole as he fell to the ground. His spirit then rose from the ground and he looked over at Princess Alice, "Can you help me?" She nodded and took his hand. "What about Sofia?" I asked looking at both of them. Alice smiled at me, "Don't worry." The amulet began to stop glowing white and white smoke surrounded Alice like it had surrounded Sofia earlier. Sofia then reappeared and fell into my arms. I looked up and saw Princess Alice's spirit grab Prince Cole's hand, "It is time for you to find peace friend." He nodded and they disappeared. I turned my attention back toward Sofia. She began to stir and her eyes blinked open, "H-H-Hugo?"