006

As I drove home, I felt like the world was closing in on me. Tears streamed down my face as I tried to hide in my room. Suddenly, I heard the doorbell ring, and my mom's voice outside my door. "She's in her room," she told the person. I could hear the man say, "Thank you."

Then, I heard Wyatt's voice. "Kia, I'm so sorry," he said as he walked over to my bed. I looked up at him, my cheeks stained with tears. "It's fine," I mumbled.

"No, it's not. You're my best friend. I can't lie to you," he replied.

I scooted over so he could lay down on my bed. He wrapped his arms around me, and I laid my head on his chest, soon falling asleep.

Later that night, I woke up to yelling and saw that Wyatt was awake too. "What's going on?" he asked in a raspy voice.

"Nothing. Go back to sleep," I said, snuggling closer to him. I turned my back to him, and he wrapped his arms around my waist.

Suddenly, I heard a loud scream. I ran downstairs to see my mom passed out cold and my dad drunk. I froze in shock, then pushed past Wyatt and ran back to my room to call the police.

"Hello?" I asked, panicked. "My mom is passed out cold, and it's because of my father."

"Is anyone else in the house with you?" the woman on the other end asked.

"Just my best friend, Wyatt Lykensen," I said.

"Okay, we'll be there in two minutes," she replied. I hung up the phone, and Wyatt hugged me.

I looked up at him, and he looked at my lips. Suddenly, we heard sirens, so we jumped out the window and ran to the woods. We told the officers what happened, and they asked if I had anywhere to live while my father was locked up.

"She can live with me," Wyatt said. I smiled faintly, and he hugged me from behind.

We went to a cave, where Wyatt led me into a wolf den. I got looks from other wolves, and I hid my face behind Wyatt. He gave me some clothes, and I changed quickly, putting my hair in a messy bun.

Later that night, I lay in bed, trying to process everything that had happened. Wyatt came into the room and picked out some clothes for me. He walked out to talk to his family, and I overheard Willa, one of the wolves, ask, "Why is the human here?"

"Willa, be nice. Her mom just died, and her dad is in jail," Wyatt said.

Willa rolled her eyes and said, "Whatever. And honestly, she might be a wolf. Do you see the necklace she wears and her hair? It means something, I promise you!"

"She has to be a wolf. I'm going to ask her about it in the morning," Willa said.

"Go get some sleep, Wy," Willa said. I shook my head and walked to my room. I saw Kia sleeping on her side, with her back to me. I grabbed some clothes and went to the bathroom to change, then laid down next to Kia, soon falling asleep.