𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

ELENA

I walk down to only see Zade, Jeremiah and Atlas. "Hey, Where's Uncle Joshua, Alex, Chris and Andrew?" I ask concerned. The last time that a few people weren't on the dining table when I woke up, was when my parents had passed away.

‎*¨༺ Flashback of three years ago ༻¨*

My parents are coming back from Nice!I am so excited because my dad will finally teach me how to drive, and my mother is basically my best friend; I share everything with her. I cant wait to tell her about everything in school. I walk down the staircase to see everyone in sorrowful faces. Even Uncle Joshua and Jeremiah had come to visit. It is Alexander who kneels in front of me and takes my hands in his. Mom and Dad are gone, Elle, they're never going to come back he says, taking me in his arms. I cry. Hey, I know we were never so close, but we're family. I'm always going to be there for you, I promise Jeremiah tries to calm me down. He fails. I cry more. Hey kiddo, I love you, and I'm going to hold you tight at sorrowful times like now, and I'm going to laugh with you while making good memories. I'm sorry for what you're going through; I can't imagine the pain that you must be suffering, but you have six men -including Atlas, I know he's your best friend- to look up to and comfort you. And I'm going to kill those people for taking my brother and his wife away from me, you, Uncle Joshua makes me smile a soft sad smile. I'm so sorry, Lele. I wish you didn't have to experience that. I love you; I always will Atlas says, and with that, I hug him tight. Oh, honey, come here Cassandra says with open arms when she finds out.

*¨༺ Flashback ended ༻¨*

"They went back home for your birthday preparations" Jeremiah said and I hum in response.

 "Have a seat, Lele, the French toast is so good" My bestfriend says. He's always been telling me to eat well, sleep quick and even what to wear when I'm going out, he can be goofy and a bright ball of sunshine and crap but he is so damn overprotective at times, that it scares me. I listen as I take my seat and get ready to eat my meal. 

I take a bite and God, I moaned and told Atlas that he was right; it really was so good.

"I can't believe my baby is growing up. She's going to be eighteen tomorrow, you're going to know what your parents wrote for you three years ago, when you were fifteen" Atlas says with a sigh escaping his lips. "such good times" he adds.

 "you're such a child. I'm only a few months younger than you. Sei un gatto così micio. Cazzo di bambino che è più grande di me, non riesce a capire che ho diciotto anni, probabilmente perché sono più maturo di te" I sweared at him. 

Atlas shows a fake offended look and that makes me giggle. I notice that Zade has got a dark smirk forming in his lips "Hey, buddy, what makes you smirk like that exactly?" Atlas asks his brother. 

"Nothing. Just the fact that you got cursed at by a girl who's younger than you" Zade replies simply. Jeremiah swears under his breath and excuses him self to take a call. A few minutes later, he says he has to go home. I asked him I could join him but he told me that I couldn't because there's some 'private matter'.

ZADE

Jeremiah left which led to my bother, Elena I alone. My parents went for a small trip to Mexico for business and they'll be directly coming for Elena's birthday then back here. I enter my room to start packing but instead, I see my brother searching for something. 

"What do you want?" I ask him. 

"I can't find my deodorant" he replies. 

"and you're searching for it in my room. Why would I have it?" 

"Who knows? Probably you're just jealous of me smelling so good all the time so you stole it. I thought high of you, brother"

 "Shut up. And get the hell out. I do NOT use other's belongings and you're deodorant isn't even as half as good as you think" I state and Atlas replies with pointing the middle finger at me.

I packed my clothes for Elena's birthday celebration in Greece with a sense of duty rather than excitement. Each shirt and pair of pants was folded efficiently and placed in my suitcase with precision, devoid of any unnecessary flair or emotion.

As I arranged my belongings, my mind remained focused on the practicalities of the trip rather than the anticipated festivities. Thoughts of spending time with my family in Greece stirred a mix of unease as after that, I'll be shifting to Chicago.

With each item neatly packed away, I couldn't muster a smile or even a hint of enthusiasm. Instead, a sense of resignation settled over me, accepting the inevitability of the trip and the responsibilities that came with it.

As I closed my suitcase, there was no surge of anticipation or eagerness to embark on this journey. Instead, I braced myself for the challenges that lay ahead, knowing that regardless of my own feelings, I would fulfill my role in Elena's birthday, pretending I don't care about her or her birthday.