𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑

ELENA

It's 9:22 am and Zade is asleep beside me. It's been a week since we moved in and ever since then, Zade sleeps after me and we never go to bed together. He can be kind and caring but distinct as well and I am tired. I am so tired of pretending that we're strangers in bed. I want to go to sleep with him kissing my forehead and I want to wake up thinking about how well I slept in his arms. It just never happens. As the morning sun filters through the curtains, I quietly slip out of bed, careful not to disturb Zade's peaceful slumber. Padding softly across the room, I make my way to the kitchen, the cool tiles soothing beneath my feet. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee fills the air, coaxing a faint smile to my lips.

I prepare breakfast with practiced efficiency, the clatter of pans and utensils a familiar melody in the quiet apartment. Eggs sizzle in the skillet, their golden yolks promising warmth and sustenance. I set the table with care, arranging plates and cutlery with a precision born out of habit.

As the clock ticks closer to 10 am, I hear the shuffle of footsteps behind me, signaling Zade's awakening. He enters the kitchen, his tousled hair and sleepy eyes a stark contrast to the vibrant morning light. "Good morning, Sweetheart," he murmurs, his voice husky with sleep.

"Morning," I reply, offering him a soft smile as he takes a seat at the table. We eat in companionable silence, the clinking of cutlery punctuating the stillness. Despite the calm façade we maintain, I can't shake the feeling of unease that lingers between us like an unwelcome guest.

After breakfast, we go about our respective tasks, the day unfolding in a series of mundane routines. Zade heads off to work, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the quiet hum of the house.

At noon, I prepare a simple lunch for myself, the solitude of the empty house a stark reminder of the distance that separates us. I find myself lost in thought as I eat, the taste of food a mere distraction from the tumultuous emotions swirling within me.

As the afternoon stretches on, I keep myself busy with household chores and errands, the hours passing by in a blur of activity. But no matter how much I try to distract myself, I can't escape the lingering sense of discontent that tugs at the corners of my mind.

Finally, as the sun begins to dip below the horizon, signaling the arrival of evening, I hear the familiar sound of the front door opening. Zade returns home from work, his footsteps echoing through the empty house.

"Hi, how was work?"  Today was his first day and although we're distinct, he's my fiancée and I always want to know that he's in ease and comfort. "Hey, Butterfly" a pause "It was pretty good, I recognized most of the employees. I used to meet them when my father took me to work with him. I used to enjoy their company when he was busy with paperwork and now it's hard to believe that they're now working for me." I listen attentively, the revelation offering a glimpse into Zade's past and the connections that shaped him into the man he is today. Despite the differences that sometimes divide us, I find solace in moments like these, where we can bridge the gap between our worlds and truly understand each other.

"Must be quite the feeling, having familiar faces around," I remark, a sense of pride swelling within me at the thought of Zade stepping into his father's shoes. "I'm glad your first day went well."

He nods in agreement, a grateful smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Yeah, it's definitely a surreal experience," he admits, his expression softening with appreciation for my understanding.

As we settle into the evening, the tension that once lingered between us begins to dissipate, replaced by a newfound sense of camaraderie and understanding. In moments like these, I'm reminded of the strength of our bond, forged not by choice but by circumstance, and the hope that maybe, just maybe, there's beauty to be found in the midst of our differences.

"Anyway, Love, my cousin, Ace invited me to a party tomorrow, do you want me to go?" Do I want him to go? He told me to either make him go or stay with me. I get the opportunity to choose how he's going to spend tomorrow evening. "You should go. It must have been long since you guys last saw each other." I reply. As much as I want him to spend time with me, he'll be with his cousins and I hope that they make him happy because that's all I ever want for him. "You do know that I'll need a date, right?" He asks and I'm shocked. With that, he winks at me and goes to the bathroom to change.

ZADE

As the night descends and the hour grows late, I find myself drawn to the comforting embrace of our bed, the soft glow of the bedside lamp casting a warm ambiance over the room. With a sense of anticipation tingling in the air, I wait for Elena to join me, eager for the closeness that only comes with sharing a bed.

As she enters the room, a fleeting smile graces her lips, a silent acknowledgment of the unspoken connection that binds us together. Without a word, she slips beneath the covers, her presence a soothing balm to the turmoil that churns within me.

Curling up beside her, I savor the feeling of her warmth radiating against my skin, her presence a constant source of comfort in the stillness of the night. With a gentle touch, I adjust the temperature of the AC, ensuring that the room is just the right balance of warmth and coolness for us to drift off to sleep.

As we settle into the comfort of our bed, a soft sigh escapes Elena's lips, her voice barely a whisper in the quiet of the room.

"Zade..."

I turn to her, catching the faint glimmer of uncertainty in her eyes. Without hesitation, I reach out to brush a stray strand of hair from her face, my touch gentle yet reassuring.

"Shh, princess," I murmur, my voice low and soothing. "Let me to keep you warm."

With a tender smile, I pull her closer, enveloping her in the warmth of my embrace. The weight of her body against mine fills me with a sense of contentment, a silent affirmation of the bond that binds us together.

In the stillness of the night, as we drift off to sleep, I hold Elena close, relishing the simple yet profound intimacy of our shared bed. And as the world fades away around us, I silently vow to cherish every moment, every embrace, and every whispered promise, for it's in moments like these that the true beauty of our love reveals itself.