Chapter 22: Love Hurts

It's been a few days now since we've talked to Jessie about her mom and what our plans were in dealing with her. As of yet, she hasn't spoken about the whole ordeal since. In fact, the poor girl hasn't even left her bedroom since which was really beginning to make me worry. I had plans to go to her room today and do a wellness check on her. I was feeling a bit conflicted about whether telling her everything was a mistake.

          Nonetheless, I give Husk a kiss on the cheek and get out of bed and start getting dressed and brushed my teeth. I fed Fat Nuggets his breakfast and left a note for Husk so that he'd know not to feed him a second breakfast. As soon as I was done with all of that I walked towards the door and looked back briefly and smiled at the man lying in our bed. I left the room and closed the door quietly behind me. I walked down the hall and made my way to Jessie's room.

          I knocked on the door and waited for her reply. "Who's there?" She asked from behind the door.

"It's your auntie Angel," I said waiting for her response.

"Okay, come in," she says finally.

            I open the door and walked into her room closing it behind me. I noticed that she was sitting on her bed with her headphones around her neck and was drawing some things on a pad of paper with colored pencils strewn around her bed.

"What are you working on?" I asked her walking over to sit beside her on the bed.

She blushes, "oh it's nothing, just a few doodles here and there."

           I looked down at the paper and saw a few Celtic and Polynesian symbols scribbled out in various colors.

"These are pretty good," I tell her smiling down at the paper.

She blushes, "thanks, Kuya."

I smiled. It was one of few Filipino words that she taught me which meant, "big brother."

          She told me it was a sign of respect that was reserved to be used when addressing people older than you that you had great respect for.

"So, what's up?" She asked as she continued to doodle on her paper.

I scratched my hand behind my head, "I was just coming in here to check on you because you haven't been out of your room in days since we last talked to you." "I was really getting worried about you."

           She flattens her ears and drops her wings, "Sorry, Kuya." "I've just been... trying to avoid... someone." She says sounding a bit distracted.

I let out a sigh, "Demetrius?"

She stops what she's doing and freezes in place completely before looking up at me, "is it that obvious."

           I nod my head, "yeah you both really suck at this whole, 'tip toeing around the situation shit.'"

She sets her pencil down on the bed along with her sketchbook and places her hands in her lap. "Surely, I have no idea what you're talking about."

I laughed, "well I think 'surely' you do know exactly what I'm talking about."

She lets out a sigh, "you're not going to let this go until I talk about it are you?"

           I shake my head, "nope."

She lets out a sigh, "yes I'm avoiding Demetrius."

I raised an eyebrow, "how come?"

She buries her face in her hands, "I don't know, maybe because he gives me feelings that I don't like feeling."

I grin and raise an eyebrow, "really?" "What kind of feelings?"