Episode Seven

"I mean, talk about terrible timing. Though Henry was born at a less-than-ideal time, and he's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Not that I'm saying I hope she's pregnant. I- Not that I'm saying I hope she's not pregnant. What am I saying? Just wish she would call. How hard is it to pee on a stick?" Nolan rambles in the break room.

Both Lucy and Jackson are listening to music and not paying attention but Ana is.

"my mama didn't find out she was pregnant with me until she started to show about three months along and even then she just thought she was gaining weight" Ana shrugs, softly.

"your stories from Cuba scare me" Nolan replies, making Ana giggle.

"ten minutes 'til roll call" Ana says, softly, looking at her phone to check the time.

"Okay, listen up. Why is community policing important? Officer Chen?" Nolan calls on

"Uh, because it builds trust between the police and the public, leading to a reduction in crime." Lucy replies.

"Exactly. And today, we're gonna do a little trust-building. Officer Nolan, so, you know Dr. Sawyer at Shaw Memorial?" Grey asks.

"Uh, we went to the same college, sir. Before I got my now-ex pregnant with my son and-" Nolan starts to ramble.

"It was a yes or no question, Nolan." Grey deadpans.

"Sorry, sir. Yes, I know her." Nolan replies.

"Good. She requested an officer to assist with a seminar. You're going with Cabrera." Grey decides.

"do you know what the seminar is about?" Ana asks, softly.

"Don't know, don't care. Whatever it is, it's open to the public, which means you have a chance to show the community that the LAPD does more than just lock up people." Grey answers.

"We do?" Tim asks, making everyone laugh.

"That's not funny. And you don't want to piss me off, Bradford. Considering what I have lined up for you." Grey answers.

"What's that?" Tim asks.

"Watts Rams need additional coaches for their fall clinic, and you're gonna need company. Officer West. Your dad is always bragging how you're a high-school football star. Is he lying?" Grey answers.

"No, sir. All-State safety, four years running. I could actually pull up my highlight reel if you want to check it out. It's on my YouTube channel." Jackson brags.

"what's a safety?" Ana asks, softly, raising her hand.

A good half the room gives her a look. 

"can't believe you were my rookie" Tim huffs, pinching the top of his nose with two fingers.

"sorry" Ana apologizes, softly.

"No, just-... That won't be necessary. Change into your PTs, head out with Bradford. Harper and Chen, you will serve as liaisons to the Mid-Wilshire Community Council. They're coming in for a sit-down." Grey says, trying to get them back on track.

"What is this? The 1950s? The boys go to football practice while us girls attend a PTA meeting?" Harper pipes up.

"Fair point. Guess there's really only one way to settle this - Challenge coins." Grey announces.

They gather around a table while Tim and Harper take out their challenge coins. 

"Chief gave me mine personally." Tim brags.

"That was nice. Mine was given to me by the governor." Harper replies.

"What is a challenge coin?" Nolan asks.