V

William Devereaux

6 years ago

"...bitch ass. Always got a fucking attitude," I heard Ella grumble as she walked in the door, typing furiously on her phone.

"Ella, what's wrong?" I asked. She ignored me as she typed, her forehead creasing to a fine line.

"Auriella," I called. I abandoned the coffee I was stirring and came from around the counter. I grabbed her wrist, making her look at me.

"What's wrong?"

"My brother is an asshole. He's always been an asshole, but it's been so much worst since his girlfriend left him. I see why she did. All I asked was for him to come to the art show, and he said that an art show wasn't important enough to get him to leave work early. He went on a little rant about how I need to understand how important his time is. It's like he thinks I should get on my knees and kiss the ground he walks on just because he chose to raise me. It's not my fault I just fell into his hands, and he's always acting like I'm such a fucking burden," she finished with heavy breaths and tears in her eyes. I grabbed her phone and turned it off before setting it on the counter.

"What are you doing?" she asked as I wrapped my arms around her.

"Jump," I said. She smiled sadly and jumped into my arms. I held her against me as I carried her to the couch. I sat down and held her close.

"You're not a burden, and I never want to hear you say that again. You're so important to me. Your interests are important to me. Screw your brother. I'll come to the show. I want to be anywhere you are."

"You do?" she asked as she looked up at me and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Of course I do. Why do you think I get up at dawn to walk you to class when my first class isn't until eleven?"

"I thought you were just a morning person," she said with a smile.

"Only for you," I brushed my thumb across her cheek. Her eyes met mine before she leaned over and brushed her lips against mine.

Present

I stroked Ella's back as I held her. This will most likely be the last time she allows me to touch her. This isn't how I thought our life would be. I always thought we would get married after college. We would work on our passions, travel the world, and love each other to the fullest. After a few years, we would finally settle down and have kids.

But that's not what life had in store for us. Or maybe that's what would've happened if I didn't hurt her. I will regret wiping away her beautiful smile for the rest of my life.

"I still love you, but I understand why you hate me. I hate me too," I whispered against her before gently placing her on the bed beside me. I turned to get off the bed when I felt her small hand reaching for mine.

"Billy," she said. I looked back at her to see her looking up at me. She patted the space beside her. I laid back down without hesitation. I'll take any greedy moment I can get with her.

"I don't hate you. I'm just angry, Billy."

"I see the way you look at me. You are only here because of the contract," I said as I caressed her cheek before trailing my fingers down to her chest. I could feel her heart beating underneath my fingertips.

"This used to belong to me. This used to be mine, Ella."

"I tried to push all the anger and questions you refuse to answer away for so long, but I don't think I can do it anymore. Being around you every day is hard. I don't want to hate you."

"I know you want to know what happened that day, but I don't think it'll change anything for you to know why I left you," I said before clearing my throat.

"I put in a request to have the pool house remodeled. I've never even used the pool since I've been here. Parker thinks they'll be done in a little over a month. I'll ensure plenty of space and even a room for your art."

"You want me to leave?"

"I want you to be happy, Ella. Even if that's not with me."

"What about the contract?"

"As far as the public knows, we are still a happily married couple. We'll still make our public appearances and appear together for my grandfather. Once the contract is up, we will separate amicably," I said as I looked at her to see her nodding.

"Okay."