IV

William Devereaux

Six years ago

I sighed as I stared at the words on the screen. It's only week four, and I'm sick of this school. After taking a year and a half gap from school to learn the family business, I thought college would be more exciting. Still, unfortunately, it's just studying information I either already know or will never apply in the real world.

I smiled as the only exciting thing about this school walked into my room. Her hands were hidden behind her back. The biggest smile covered her face as she looked at me. I already knew why she was so happy: It's Pottery Day.

"Close your eyes," she said. I closed my eyes and held out my hands like I always do on Pottery Day. Every week, Ella's class makes something new, and they get their creations back every Thursday. She always makes something for me. I love Pottery Day.

I felt her place something in my hands. It felt smooth and complex in texture. I gently touched the object and smiled when I realized it was a mug.

"Open," she said. I opened my eyes and saw the mug. It was lovely, and I was impressed that she had made it with her hands.

"I love it, Ella. Thank you for making this."

"You don't have to thank me. I like making things for you," she smiled at me. God, I want her to always smile. I want her to only smile at me. I want to earn every single smile.

"You're doing it again," she said, stepping back. I frowned as the smile I yearned for disappeared.

"Doing what?"

"Looking at me like that. Like I'm creeping you out."

"No, you're not," I said as I sat the mug down and stood up from the desk.

"I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"You haven't made me uncomfortable. You make me happy. You're the only person who's ever done anything nice for me. I like everything you've given me. I really do," I said as I looked down at her. She smiled and nodded at me.

"I like making you happy. How about we go for a walk? You've been stuffed in here all day."

"Sure, Ella."

Present

I watched as Ella picked at the mushroom-stuffed peppers on her plate. She's been relatively quiet these last few days. She's barely said four words to me.

"How was your day?"

"Fine," Well, there's word number five. It floats in the air around me as I stare at her. She's not fine. She's unhappy. She hates me.

The realization hits me, and suddenly, I can't breathe. She hates me. After all these years, everything she once felt for me has turned into utter hatred and resentment.

"You're unhappy," I said as I put my fork down. She finally looked up at me.

"I'm not. I'm fine, William."

"In all this time, you have never called me William before, and you aren't going to start now."

"Your father—."

"Fuck my father, Ella. You are my wife."

"Fake wife."

"There's nothing fake about our marriage license."

"I am your wife only in name and nothing more."

"Is that what all of this is about? Do you want more? You are the reason we are not together right now. You are the one holding us up. God, it's been 6 years since we met. We could've been celebrating our wedding anniversary by now with a couple of kids and a damn dog. We could have had a life together," I finished. She stared at me angrily before slamming her fork and napkin down. She stood up and gripped the ends of the table as if it were the only thing stopping her from pouncing.

"You seem to have a very selective memory. I am not the reason this didn't work out. I didn't leave you standing at the airport like a fool."

"I made a mistake, Ella. One that cost me the best thing I've ever had. I'm sorry. What more do you want?" I said as I stood up from the table. She scoffed and shook her head.

"A mistake? That's what you call it?"

"Tell me what I can do, Ella."

"Nothing. It's been years, Billy. I'm over it. I'm ready to serve the rest of this contract so I never have to see you again."

"You know we've never been able to stay away from each other. Where is all of this even coming from? Even after we broke up, we still became friends again."

"Yeah, that was before I was forced to be around you every second of every day. It was easier to push everything aside when I hardly had to see you."

"You can push away your feelings for me, but they'll never go away. We will always have feelings for each other, Ella."

"I feel nothing for you," she said as she sighed, walking off until I grabbed her, pressing myself against her. She shivered as she looked up at me.

"What are you doing, Billy?"

"This is how we used to solve our disagreements," I said as I lifted her.

"This isn't a disagreement," she said. I smirked as she softly pushed against my chest yet wrapped her legs around my waist. Her eyes darkened with lust as she tried her best to look annoyed.

I reached underneath her skirt and rubbed against her thin panties, earning a low moan.

"Tell me to stop, and this stops," I whispered before kissing her neck.

"This doesn't mean anything," she said as she raced to unbutton my shirt.

"I believe you said that last time as well, yes? We were on the Wonder Wheel at Deno's, and I fucked y—" she interrupted me by pressing her lips against mine as she unbuckled my belt.