XXII

Auriella Devereaux

One year ago

     "Have you two even thought this through?"Leo asked as he stared at our brother and me.
     "Not at all," I said as Jamison chuckled. Miles hugged my leg and looked up at me with puppy dog eyes.
     "I don't want you to move away," he pouted. I picked him up and kissed his forehead.
     "It won't be that bad, kid. I promise. You can always call Uncle Jamie and me. We'll visit as much as we can,"
     "Okay," he said, still pouting.
     "Look, I understand it's been a hard year for you both, but moving out of the country is a little extreme,"
     "Of course, you would think that Mr. Perfect with a fiancee and kid. I just signed divorce papers, and Jamison could use a change in scenery,"
     "But why Norway?" Cleo asked.
     "The pictures of it were gorgeous. I've read how welcoming the country is, and I'm curious about their art scene,"
     "And I need to figure out who I am and what I want. New York has left a bad taste in my mouth,"
     "Look, we'll support you two no matter what. We're just gonna miss you," Cleo said, before pulling me into a hug.
"We'll miss you too,"

Present

I crossed my legs as I waited in the large office for Elias to come in. He was stuck in a meeting as usual. I never mind waiting for the older man since he's one of my repeat customers.
All of his office buildings are stocked with my art. From my paintings to the statue I made for him in the courtyard. He says I remind him of the daughter he lost. She was an artist and apparently, we have a similar art style.
He and his wife, Julie, have been very welcoming to me. They regularly host us for dinners and weekend activities.
"I apologize for keeping you waiting, dear,"
"Oh, you know I don't mind, Elias. Here you go, Julie is going to love them," I said, handing him the ceramic oil dispensers I made. Their names, including their daughter, Dana, were engraved around it separated by Lilies which was Julie's favorite flower.
"Thank you so much. I'll see you guys Friday night for dinner, okay?" he reminded me.
"Of course. You know Jamison can only go so long without Julie's focaccia," I said, making him chuckle.
"Neither can I. I'll see you then," he said as he led me to the elevator. I waved goodbye and checked my phone to see if Jamison texted.
     I hardly see him since he's been busy with college. We still live together but our schedules have been a mess, so texting has been our biggest form of communication. I smiled as I looked at the picture of his afternoon coffee. We both have developed an addiction to it and throughout the day, we send pictures of our cups. It's become a daily tradition. I recognized that he was in my art studio, so I hurried there.
     "It's about time. I was afraid I was going to have to call Leo and tell him you were missing,"
     "Please don't give him another reason to drag us both back to New York," I sighed as I peeked at the monitor.
     "Oh, get prepared. The three of them are coming for a visit. You know he's already practicing his speech. 'What if something happens and I can't get to you guys? You two are missing so much with Miles, you should move home'. It's bad enough seeing how sad Miles gets when they have to leave," He said. I nodded as I thought about my nephew's cute pout.
     "We can get through it. Besides, we've made a life here. You're in school and I've opened an art studio and gallery. There's nothing that can make me leave that," I said as the bell chimed to let me know someone walked into the studio.
     "Welcome to The Moon Studio of Art. H—" I began, but paused when I realized who I was looking at.
      "Billy?"