XII

William Devereaux

4 months ago

I signed the paper before handing it to Ella, who stared at it cautiously.

"We don't have all day. Just sign it," Father's voice boomed in the small room. "Watch your tone. Give her a minute," I scolded him before turning to her. "Are you alright, love? Do you have any questions?" I asked her. She looked up at me before looking back at the document before her. "So, once I sign this, we're married?" she asked. "Essentially. You don't need to worry about details, okay?" I told her. She took a deep breath before signing her name on the dotted line.

My father grabbed the paper and slid it into a folder before leaving the room without a simple goodbye. I looked over at Ella, who had a forced smile.

"Are you okay, mon amour?" I asked as I scooted closer to her. She bit her lip before looking at me. "Is this all you need? Are we gonna have a wedding?" she asked. After everything I put her through, she's still worried about what I need. I can't handle watching her walk down the aisle knowing she wasn't mine. I can't promise her forever in front of everyone we love, knowing that our relationship had an 18-month expiration date."We don't need one. We'll just tell everyone we eloped. We'll tell everyone we can't wait longer to be together, okay?" she nodded before running a hand through her curly hair. "I need to tell Cleo and Leo. I want them to hear this from me first," she said as she stood up from the table. "I can go with you. We can tell them together," I said as I stood. I looked down at her as she shook her head. "No, no, I got it. I'll see you later, okay?" she said before rushing out of the room.

Present

I sighed in relief when I heard the side door open, letting me know Ella was finally ready to leave for the fundraiser gala. I turned and nearly had the wind knocked out of me. She stood there working the clasp of her bracelet, and I couldn't help but let my eyes wander over the fitted navy dress that hugged her curves and matched my suit. Her hair, which usually fell past her shoulders, was now in a sleek bun as two loose curls framed her face.

Her forehead creased as she frowned at the bracelet she struggled to put on one-handed. I walked over, took it in my hands, and quickly latched the bracelet I soon realized I had given her a few years ago for her birthday. I'm surprised she kept it for so long.

"Thank you," she said before her eyes widened as a broad smile appeared. "What are you doing here?" she asked as she shot past me and ran into the arms of her best friend, Cleo, standing before her fiancé. She beamed and wrapped her arms tightly around Ella. "Well, I missed you like crazy, so of course, I said yes when William invited us," she said. Ella pulled away, turned to me with a smile, and walked over to me. God, I love it when she smiles at me. "You invited my family?" she asked with nothing but love in her eyes. I knew it was to convince them we were a loving couple, but part of me wanted to believe it was for me. That her love was all for me. That I deserved it. "Of course I did. They're my family now, too, and it's my job to keep you happy," I said as I wrapped my arms around her. "Okay, okay. Let's go before I get sick," Leo said as he pulled Cleo against him and headed toward the door. Soon, we were in the back of the SUV as our driver headed towards our destination. "Where's Miles?" I asked, missing the adorable toddler."Spending the night with his grandfather,""How is your dad? I haven't seen him in a while," Ella said. "He's alright. Still adjusting to a world that doesn't bend at the snap of his fingers," she said. I've never met Cleo's father, Clive Mitchell, but I know of him for being a disgrace in the business world. He embezzled millions and was arrested in his own home. I heard his wife died shortly after. "I know it must be difficult for him,""It is. Clive's trying to get back to where he was. He's meeting with investors over some business plan he created, but nobody wants to work with him. He's refusing to take a loan from us," Leo said as he caressed the ring on Cleo's finger.

The girls quickly switch the conversation to Cleo and Leo's wedding. Ella's eyes lit up in excitement as Cleo talked about the venue she and Leo had looked at. Her bright smile never left her face as she listened to her best friend. I honestly haven't seen her this happy in months. Soon enough, we arrived at the fundraising gala. I inwardly groaned as I noticed the media at the door. I wasn't in the mood to hear what they had to say. I helped Ella out of the car as Leo did the same for Cleo. He spun her around playfully before pulling her into him. I envied their relationship. I know I'll never have that with Ella. She'll never look at me like that. She smiled at them before grabbing my hand.

"Congratulations on the engagement!" someone shouted as Leo and Cleo rushed inside. I knew that both hated the media. I would, too, if they dragged me the way the media always seems to. The rumors that constantly swirl around them are sickening at best. The latest one is that their engagement is a ploy to put Clive Mitchell back on top. The others range from Leo not being Miles' biological father to Cleo being a gold digger looking for a payday. Unfortunately, I was forced to stand here and listen to the vultures as they took our pictures. Ella looked up at me, and it felt like they had all disappeared. It was just the two of us. The way it should be.

"Billy," her voice barely a whisper. Almost a gasp. "After you, Mr. and Mrs. Devereaux," an usher waved for us to enter the building. As soon as we walked in, I caught sight of people dancing together, browsing art pieces, drinking, and laughing together. Cleo and Leo were already browsing the art. My Grandfather was grabbing a drink off a waiter's tray. He looked mildly somber, as he usually does at this annual gala. Every year, we have a fundraising gala in honor of my late Nana, who died of heart disease. She died when I was about 14, and my Grandfather has never looked the same since. Over the years, he's learned to mask his heartbreak by throwing himself into his work and surrounding himself with women he will never love. Women that he'll never look at the way he looked at Nana. I watched as he noticed Ella and me. He forced a smile as we approached him. "Good evening, Charles. This place looks amazing,""Thank you very much. You look marvelous tonight, Auriella. Thank you again for submitting the pieces to the art sales team. I hear that one of your portraits has already been sold,""Happy to contribute," she said with kind eyes as she patted his arm. "Now, if you excuse me, I see a group of fellow philanthropists I should speak to," he excused himself before heading to the table.

I released a heavy sigh as I scanned the room. I hated these kinds of events. Having to put on a performance of having it all together. Pretending to be charismatic and interested in dealing with the crowd. I would rather be at home with Ella even if we don't sleep under the same roof. Ella's smile faltered as she looked up at me.

"What's the matter?" she asked as she put her arms around me and leaned in. I hated not knowing if this was for me or everyone here. "I just hate these things. Charm everyone in the room with meaningless chatter that slowly depletes my social capacity. It's exhausting,""Then let's leave. The four of us can go do something else," she said. I chuckled and waved my hand across the room. "I can't just leave. I'm a Devereaux. I have to keep up my appearance,""You're unhappy, and crowds make you anxious. Your Grandfather will understand. Let's go do something fun," Her words cut through the heaviness in my heart and the anxiety that clawed at my insides. She looked at me with a smile that seemed to chase away all the shadows. At that moment, I knew that I would follow her anywhere.