Chapter 11 : Escape

Third POV:

A few moments later, the short respite they had gotten was over.

With a sound that reminded him of rushing water, a terrifying wave of undead monsters crashed into their formation, threatening to break it apart. Sunny braced for the impact and withstood the furious onslaught, somehow managing to split the wave in two.

From one side, Changing Star dove into the torrent of skeletal wraiths, her incandescent sword cutting through them like a ray of pure sunlight piercing the darkness. From the other, Caster's enchanted blade was doing the same. The scion of the Han Li clan moved with astonishing speed, turning into a blurry whirlwind of ghostly green steel.

Everything that touched it turned to dust.

Sunny glanced at Kai and said in a hoarse voice:

"Prepare yourself."

In the next moment, the wave of monsters was upon them.

Dashing forward against the wave of monsters, he clashed with the skeletons in front of him. His sword flashed through the air with lightning speed, and a few headless corpses instantly fell to his feet, blindly clawing at the stones in front of it.

Sunny's eyes sharpened, His perception expanded, and his senses rose to their peak. Hardened by Years and lifetimes of experience Sunny took on the wave. absorbing every detail and aspect of what was happening in the dark tunnel. His thinking accelerated, turning the mayhem that surrounded them into a stark and streamlined pattern of cause and effect.

Connected to the underlying law of it all, Sunny was able to react to the actions of his enemies faster and predict them better thanks to his accumulated experience in Shadow dance.

Sunny was still trying to get used to the Midnight Shard, having wielded the Jade Jian for too long he almost missed the nostalgic feeling of wielding the Midnight Shard.

He had almost missed the hateful wraith. Sunny would've lost the Sin of Solace in his desperate struggle against Asterion if it wasn't for Weaver's Needle. He wasn't fast enough to dismiss the memory before Asterion broke it in half. So, Using Weaver's Needle as a last desperate attempt, Sunny managed to reattach the essence string that connected the Sin of Solace to his Soul merely seconds before the string was completely severed due to the destruction of the memory and dismissing it back to his soul sea. Thus saving it.

And now the half-broken Jian was resting in his Soul Sea restoring itself.

Sunny never had thought that there would be a time when he would desperately try to save the hateful wraith from disappearing.

Maybe he really had gone mad.

With a hissing sound, the Midnight Shard cut the air and slashed the next monster across the chest, splitting the skeleton diagonally in two. Without paying the defeated creature any attention, Sunny instantly lunged at the next one.

His movements were lightning-fast, fluid, and unpredictable, but also grounded and firm. Every strike and every step was calculated and efficient, focused on delivering the maximum amount of damage while preserving as much of his strength as possible. It was a perfect combination of the two seemingly contradictory battle styles.

Just like that, Sunny danced between the countless undead monsters, his sword cutting one after another down. The Midnight Shard wasn't unimaginably sharp like Caster's jian, nor filled with annihilating white flame like Neph's radiant longsword. However, it refused to give in and remained unbroken. No matter how many tough bones the tachi cut, not a single dent appeared on its blade.