Chapter 18: Dusk Shard

Third POV:

Sometime later, Sunny found the time to dove into the Soul Sea and take a look at the new Memory he had gotten.

It was a heavy round shield forged from dull, lusterless, dark steel. Inside of it, visible only to him, a complex weave of ethereal strings shone with stark radiance.

Memory: [Dusk Shard].

Memory Rank: Ascended.

Memory Tier: II.

Memory Type: Weapon.

Memory Description: [Forged from a shard of a fallen star, this shield contains the weight of the heavens. Depending on the heart of its wielder, it can be light as a feather or heavy as regret.]

Memory Enchantments: [Indomitable].

Enchantment Description: [Following the will of its master, the Dusk Shard can change its weight.]

This enchantment... at first glance, it seemed very unassuming. People usually thought about the weight of their weapons only when they considered how much endurance they would need to wield them. In that regard, the lighter the weapon was, the better — a light weapon could allow a person to fight longer without growing tired, which often meant the difference between victory and defeat.

However, things changed when it came to the Awakened, who often possessed inhuman strength and endurance. Light weapons had their role to play, but more often than not, what you really needed was force. And the more mass something had, the more force it could produce.

In the past, Sunny had only considered shields as a defensive tool. But after watching Effie and Stone Saint use them in battle, he realized that in the hands of a trained warrior, a shield could be as destructive and deadly as a sword. Sometimes much more so.

Just remembering Effie bashing an abomination with a shield that weighed a few hundred kilograms sent shivers running down his spine. Not to mention that the weight could be changed on the fly, making it light to maneuver faster, then turning it into an improvised siege ram at the right moment.

But even in terms of pure defense, a shield that could be turned into a literal wall was priceless. He could see a monster such as the Spire Messenger colliding with it... and simply bouncing off in the chorus of shattering bones.

With a slight smile, Sunny summoned the Dusk Shard. The sparks of light appeared in a whirlwind around his arm. A few long seconds later, the silhouette of a large round shield weaved itself into reality. After a few more seconds, and the Memory was fully formed.

'Hmph!'

The dull iron shield rested in his hand. The thing was still as heavy as he remembered. Most Sleepers —with the exception of the likes of Effie—won't even be able to lift the shield.

Luckily Sunny was Now an Awakened so he didn't fall under that rule, and he also didn't have to be lifted up by the giant Huntress like a sack of potatoes.

One time was more than enough.

Pouring his essence on the enchantment Sunny was able to reduce the weight of the shield to an acceptable level.

Although the enchantment was quite useful, it wasn't as efficient and versatile as his own Feather of Truth enchantment.

Yet it was sufficiently useful considering where they were in the Dream realm.

Noticing the Shard Memory in his hand, The members of the cohort glanced at Sunny, with perplexed expressions.

Effie approached him with a groggy expression.