Chapter Four: Nightingale

Third POV:

"How wonderful. I haven't been fed in a long, long time..."

Kai's voice echoed through the well. Fast forward everything went just like the last time. Sunny was considering his words very carefully while trying not to appear too friendly or too hostile.

He had to wait if he wanted to make it a bit more realistic from Kai's perspective. Humans tend to favor offers more than orders, so he was just trying to make Kai offer his help in the castle in a way that would make it look like an equal exchange from his point of view And wouldn't make him feel indebted.

He could feel the shadow of The over-attractive man shivering like a leaf in the autumn breeze unwilling to let out a breath. Sunny could really understand how bad the situation looked from the perspective of the young man with the beautiful voice.

The only thing that could be worse than approaching a terrifying dark well while thinking that there's an ancient and utterly evil creature hiding inside was to actually be locked inside that terrifying dark well while thinking that some abominable thing was looking down on you from above.

'Now how do I convince him?'

A devious grin crept up over his face. For some reason, Sunny felt the urge to tease him a little. Soon Sunny cleared his throat.

"You sound like a human though. Are you a... human? I am a nightmare creature. You are a human and I'm a monster. You know monsters do love the human flesh, so how about you come out and we can discuss this in more detail."

He didn't lie though, it was true that he was a nightmare creature of sorts. Sunny was Grinning the whole time which made his voice come out as if mocking the poor Kai in the Well.

But that backfired pretty quickly.

After that abhorrent attempt, The young man in the well grew silent. Then, he silently said as if accepting his fate:

"Yeah, it's definitely all over for me. Oh, well. I had a good run, I guess..."

'Great job, idiot!'

Sunny sighed heavily.

"Stop panicking, you idiot! I am a human! I was just joking. Do you think a monster would talk to you this nicely? And ask you to come out politely so it can eat you? I would've already jumped in if I was one."

Kai The owner of the charming voice laughed:

"Please forgive me if I don't believe you."

He was using respectful honorifics, as though recognizing Sunny as an elder. Which was logical, given that he believed him to be an eldritch horror. An eldritch horror would technically count as an elder, all things considered.

Sunny groaned inwardly.

"Why are you using honorifics? I'm definitely younger than you."

Sunny tried to stretch out the conversation so Kai could be at ease or at least drop his guard a little.

The young man imprisoned in the well hesitated.

"Wait, you really are a human?"

Sunny smiled with excitement, feeling that he was making progress.

"Yes. I really am."

The voice returned a dozen seconds later:

"How come you're here alone and in the middle of the night? You also don't seem to have any source of light with you. Please don't get angry, sir monster, but that's not exactly something a human would be able to do. Maybe you should work on your story a bit more next time you venture out to devour innocent souls. Just a, well, a piece of friendly advice."