Chapter 17: Spire Messenger

Third POV:

The force of the impact threw both Sunny and the Spire Messenger back. When it comes to raw strength, the difference between ranks would pretty much widen the gap the more you ascend or the more you descend. But The augmentation of Seven of his Shadows alongside the Dawn Shard has completely bridged the gap between Sunny and the Spire Messenger.

They were equal in brute strength, with Sunny having a slight advantage Thanks to the Feather of Truth.

Their devastating collision had bought the cohort a precious second to regroup and counterattack.

As Kai and Cassie flew in different directions, creating some distance between them and the ferocious abomination, Nephis and Caster attacked from the sides. One sword shined with brilliant white radiance, while the other gleamed with ghostly green light. As Effie joined him on the front with her Shield.

However, the Messenger was still terrifyingly formidable for his Cohort. The Memories wielded by the cohort might have been enhanced, but their masters remained the same. They couldn't compete with a Fallen creature in terms of raw power and speed.

Two of the beast's six front limbs swiped forward, deflecting the swords. Two more shot at the attacking humans, forcing them to retreat while barely staying alive.

...Then, the Messenger twisted its neck and caught Kai in its sight.

Its powerful black wings lashed down, creating a small hurricane that threw Nephis and Caster aside. Using powerful hind legs to throw itself into the air, the abomination lunged at the retreating archer, who twisted his body in a desperate attempt to aim his bow.

...And then, suddenly, a triangular blade cut an arc around one of the legs and tied an invisible string around it.

'Caught you!'

This was exactly what Sunny wanted.

With the Dark Wing turning into a blur behind his back, Sunny used the momentum of the pull to turn his laughably slow levitation into real flight.

In fact, he shot in the direction of the Messenger as though someone had launched him from a cannon.

But not before leaving one of his Shadows on the ground.

The Midnight Shard flashed through the air and bit into the abomination's flesh stabilising Sunny's dangling figure.

Immediately Sunny dismissed both of his Dark Wing and the Midnight Shard, securing his hands in the body of the abomination, he augmented his mantle with Five of his Shadows, as Sunny activated the enchantment [Feather of Truth] to its full extent causing the creature to Suddenly halt midair before plummeting down with a terrifying speed bearing the full weight of the small figure clinging onto his legs.

None of the Cohort managed to make sense of what was happening in front of them. It seemed as if Sunny was holding up a boulder made out of black feathers over his shoulder. The comical difference in size only made it more dreadful.

"Scatter!!"

Effie only managed to yell that word noticing the falling figure of the Spire Messenger with Sunny clinging to its base as if pulling it down.

Soon enough, the cohort dove in all directions avoiding the crushing point of the falling figure. Sunny managed to dissolve into the Shadows the moment his feet touched the ground and before the crushing weight of the Spire Messenger could smash into him from above.

The Shadow he Left behind previously was already under the Shadow of the headless Statue. Sunny's Shadow disappeared from the view and reappeared right beside the statue.