Chapter 1: The Twins

-Luca POV-

Strange.

The morning of my...well our eighteenth birthday I feel strange.

A soft humming beneath my skin and a yearning in my gut.

I sit up as my sensitive eyes react to the sun peeking through the window. I lift my fingers to my cheek startled to find my face is wet. Tears?

But it's a happy day. It's our birthday.

I push my comfy blanket back quickly already overly eager to start my first day as a full blown adult.

Any other birthday I would have rolled myself up like a taco and refused to come out until the afternoon.

But the moment I turn my body towards Leif's bed I freeze. He is sitting up with his arms wrapped around his legs and his face hidden. As I take a step to stand I notice him shaking like an actual leaf.

"Leif?" I ask tentatively and his head snaps up to look in my direction.

His eyes are red and glisten with unshed tears. His beautiful aqua eyes that look like mine except for the color reach for me before his hands do.

My heart aches and like a rubber band pulled too taut we burst into tears.

I race over to the bed and fling myself into his open arms.

"Luca, Luca." He calls my name desperately.

"What is it? I'm here. Don't cry." I plead to my older brother who hardly every cries even as I sob into his neck.

"Sad....scared. I don't know why." He weeps.

It occurs to me that it's his pain I feel and I have to reign it in if I want to comfort him.
So I take a deep breath through my nose and banish my tears.
Then I gently rub his back as I coo him softly. I stroke his hair as I whisper only to him like I did when we were young and he had night terrors.

"There's nothing to be afraid of Leif. I love you."

I embrace him closely not only to comfort him but to ease my own troubled heart.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work over the wisp in my mind making me feel as if I've forgotten or lost something important.

Bile rises to my throat as my guts churn with this incessant yearning.

How strange.

-Micah POV-

My arms radiate as dark brown fur bristles out of each of my arms.

He's on edge as he paces around the recesses of my mind.

What's wrong?
I ask my wolf.

One word.

Mate.
He hisses as he swishes his tail.

I'm shocked.
Where?

Close.

The word has barely finished echoing inside my mind when my bedroom door swings open.

Mate!
Blaze my twin brother and co-Alpha to our pack mind links me. Echoing the same thoughts as my wolf.

"You too?" I ask aloud which has always been a habit of mine since we were little.

Blaze has been mute from birth. He speaks to me, my parents, and his Beta using the pack link but has flat out refused to learn sign language since he was very little.

He nods at me with an eager smile and my heart warms for my little brother.

"Me too baby brother." I admit as I slip out of bed to wrap my large arms around my equally broad brother.