recovery and giving in

Luke and Michael agreed to drive each foster kid to school and back every day as Winslow got better, which lifted a lot off of her shoulders.'

The surgery went really well. She woke up in minimal pain, but was told she had to be insanely careful as her stitches could rupture.

"Don't lift heavy things," Calum demanded. "You need to be careful. The stitches could burst, and you could bleed everywhere and it would create more of a hassle for yourself."

"Yes, doctor." Winslow mumbled quietly.

She was set to be in the hospital for 2 recovery days, and was sent to the foster home once she was discharged.

Harriet had been out of vacation and had a lady across the street watch the kids — but she was older. Michael offered to clean up and Luke offered dinner while they phoned Harriet to get the hell home.

Calum, on the first night of Winslow's recovery, went to the foster home himself. He cleaned up Winslow's closet room and made sure she had the things she needed.

"If you do not straighten this foster home up, we will be contacting the state. And make sure that you have someone willing and able to watch these kids."

Harriet apologized grimly and let the doctors on their way.

Winslow was recovered and home now, but was still taking care of the children.

Now, the next week, she was scheduled to be right back at school in the rain. She walked the kids to school while they complained about being cold.

Winslow made it to class in the first period and made it through the day with slight ease, but she had a lot of homework. She was late picking up the children, and got a stern talking to, but was on her way.

"You're late." Harriet mumbled. "Clean the dishes."

"I have a lot of homework, I can't," Winslow said back.

"Does it look like I care? Get to work."

Later at night, around 1 am, Winslow finally started her homework – while crying. Everything hurts. And she just wanted a hug. A home.

She fought every urge in her body to call Calum. To pick up the phone and beg for something, for a new home, for him to contact her social worker and get her someplace new — she had been stuck like this her whole life.

And eventually, at 5 am, after crying and doing her homework — she gave in and called him.