warm bed, and meal

"Hello?"

Calum sat at his office chair, in the comfort of his home. It was early in the morning and he was reading the newspaper whilst sipping on his coffee when he got a call from Winslow.

"Calum?" She spoke softly. "It's Winslow."

"Hey, Winslow," He greeted her with a small worry in his voice. "What's wrong? It's so early."

"I know," Winslow sighed softly. "I–I. I don't know how to explain this,"

Calum sat up and licked his lips, he was thinking. "Why don't I pick you up and we can go get you some breakfast? I know the perfect place. Can you explain it there?"

Winslow's shoulders dropped a little in relief. "Yes. Please."

Calum quickly got his stuff together and went on his way to pick her up. He picked her up in her pajamas, which he wasn't mad about, and she had her backpack with her.

He jumped out and opened the car door for her, grabbing the heavy backpack from her shoulders and swinging it over his own.

"Morning," Winslow smiled.

"Good morning, honey." He smiled back. "Ready to go?"

He put her backpack in his backseat and began driving to the breakfast place. It was a little bit outside of their town, which was fine for Winslow.

They got a table and sat down within 10 minutes, and Winslow started.

"How do I say this?" Winslow began with a huff of her breath. "I need to get out of that home. I need to get a home. I need out of this state, Calum, I can't breathe here—"

"Woah, woah," Calum put his hands up to stop her. "Honey, calm down. What do you mean?"

"That place, Calum, it's awful." She felt tears crowd her eyes. "I'm tired."

"What's happening?" He urged.

"I cleaned the whole house when I got home last night," She explained. "And she sat and got drunk. I didn't even start my homework until 1."

"She what?"

"I want a home." A tear fell down her cheek. "I want a home. I want warm dinner, I want warm showers, I want a bed—" She choked. "I want— I want everything I can't have."

Before Calum could answer, the food came out. Along with a special piece of red velvet cake.

"Here you go, darling," The waitress smiled. "Feel better."

Winslow let a small smile enter her face and thanked the waitress. She turned to Calum who didn't look particularly happy.

"When was the last time you slept?" He asked.

"It's been a while."

Calum nodded. "Okay, I am going to make some calls, stay here." He smiled at her and got up. "Eat. You need it."

Calum walked outside and stood where she could see him and she began eating. She ate everything on her plate, including the cake.

Calum got back after 15 minutes and sat down.

"Alright," He let out a breath. "Luke and Michael are on their way to bring the kids to school and Ashton is going to phone the state and contact good foster homes for the kids."

"And me?" She asked.

"No." He said. "You will be staying with me until further notice."

"I am?" Winslow grinned wider. "Is this even legal?"

"Yes. I have connections, I will get you and everyone else in a safe environment. I promise you." Calum said. "Are you finished?"

"Y-Yes," She spoke, "But—"

"I have got it figured out, honey, don't worry." He smiled. "I already paid."

Calum took Winslow's hand and walked her out to his car and once again, opened the door for her and she got in.

They began driving.

"We are going to go pack up your things from the home and then we are going to take you back to my house, and I am going to set you up in our guest room, er, your room now, and you are going to sleep or shower or whatever you need to do."

Winslow could cry.

"And when you wake up, you will have a nice, warm meal prepared and ready and we will all eat at the table. You deserve to have a family you can eat a warm meal with."

"I am?"

"You will never have to beg for a warm home ever again."