Chapter 21 : Remorse & Regret

maana dil dara-dara hai, toota ye zara-zara hai,
dil ke iss bawandar ko thehar jaane do

-"Listen, I don't fucking care how you do it, okay? I just want their system to be hacked by midnight

-"Listen, I don't fucking care how you do it, okay? I just want their system to be hacked by midnight."

Sighing, Advait cut the call furiously before getting out of his car to get inside his mansion.

The night had turned colder but despite the darkness outside, under the glow of the crescent moon, he could see the empty garden of the mansion.

The fountain in the centre added more to the beauty of the space and the fragrance of the flowers in the garden made it even more ethereal.

Everything was at its place, doing its job and adding to the unrealistically majestic realm.

But the one who was not present at his place; whose absence felt like a sharp knife stabbed into Advait's heart, was Ramesh Anand.

His Ramesh Uncle.

Advait would never be able to shake off the image of Ramesh Uncle playing with him in this very garden everyday after school, like he was his own little companion.

He had always kept his little boss, the 'Chote Sahab' of the house, on a pedestal.

And even if Advait never liked the idea of an elder giving him such a treatment, the love and belongingness he felt with his Ramesh Uncle was inexplicable.

He had served in the Agnihotri Mansion for the last 20 years of his life with utmost dedication and dutifulness.

Sure, there was a new gardener they had hired now but the truth remained unchanged. No person can ever replace Advait's Ramesh Uncle.

This place was more like a home for him than a workplace, after the demise of his wife and son. But call it the cruel fate or whatever, this was also the place where he had died an untimely and the most painful death.

He was not supposed to die like this.

He did not deserve to die like this.

But the truth was that he had died.

And the guilt of that realisation did not quite settle in Advait's heart.

Not wanting to drown into that guilt again, he made his way inside the mansion only to stop when he did not find Coco jumping around him.

One thing that Advait missed deeply in these past weeks was the special welcome he always received from his little fur baby, everytime he returned home after a hectic day at work.

Coco was having a speedy recovery with all the medications and care he was receiving.

His morning and evening walks were now limited to the Mansion's garden and the terrace garden only, for security purposes.