Chapter: 36

Divya Desai Pov, The day has finally arrived, and indeed, the anticipation has only heightened the joy. We are on the cusp of uniting in matrimony, and I am elated at the thought of being hailed as his queen, as he will be my cherished king.

We are set to grace the Shekhawat mansion with our presence; he has dispatched two cars for our conveyance, and at this very moment, we are en route to our shared destiny.

My heart is racing like never before, and a smile is steadfast on my lips. My best friends have returned, my family is by my side once more, and my soon-to-be husband awaits in his home-what could possibly be more thrilling?

In some ways, I was mistaken, but the grace with which he forgave me only deepened my love for him. It's been a mere three days since we last met-since he visited my family-but the eagerness to see him is overwhelming.

After an extensive journey, we arrived. There stood my in-laws, who, despite my past actions towards their son, are awaiting me with open arms and warm smiles.

We all alighted from the car, and my anxiety soared to its zenith. Maa, Nani Maa, Chachi Ji, Chacha Ji, Dev, Kritika, and Kartik, along with an unfamiliar man, were there to welcome me.

Maa, with an 'aarti ki thaali' cradled in her hands, stirred a wellspring of tears in my eyes, but I swiftly reined them in and took a step forward.

I lingered in the back, not yet mustering the courage to meet their gazes. It was my own actions that cloaked me in a shroud of guilt.

"Hamari bahu piche kyu khadi hai?" (Why is our daughter-in-law standing at the back) Maa inquired, prompting me to lift my gaze to meet hers. As I stepped forward, tears cascaded down my cheeks, and I found myself overwhelmed with emotion.

She let out a gentle chuckle, passed the thali to Chachi Ji, and wrapped me in a nurturing embrace. My tears drenched her saree, yet she continued to console me with tender strokes of her hand.

Eventually, I regained composure and gently pulled away, whispering, "I'm sorry, Maa." Her smile was a balm to my soul as she reassured, "It wasn't your fault, my child; misunderstandings occur." I mustered a faint smile in response.

Once the Aarti concluded, we all entered, and I found a spot on the couch next to my mother. The room buzzed with talk of our impending nuptials-a stark contrast to the time when our wedding date was set without my presence.

My gaze wandered, seeking him, but he was absent. Then, amidst the hum of conversation, Kritika's voice cut through, "Aayansh bhai is upstairs, tending to some paperwork, bhabhi." At her words, I felt a wave of shyness wash over me, and I lowered my gaze as everyone's attention turned to me.

Dev's laughter rippled through the air, lightening the mood as he said, "Come, bhabhi, let me give you a tour." Maa's brows knitted in confusion, "But she's seen it all before." Dev shot her his most endearing puppy eyes and sent a pointed look at Kritika, who quickly chimed in, "Yes, bhabhi, come to my room. I have something special to show you."

I gave a slow nod, and we began to walk, Kritika's hand clasping mine. As we halted before his chamber, both Dev and Kritika turned to me. Dev's voice softened, "Bhabhi, I apologize for my earlier behavior. Bhai means alot to me." I nodded, offering a reassuring smile, "I understand, Dev. There's no need for apologies." He embraced me briefly, and I returned the gesture, my smile genuine and warm.

"Everything happens for a reason," I murmured once more, and he nodded in agreement, adding, "Now you should go, we are leaving." I offered them a timid smile, and as they departed, I gently opened the door, careful to be as quiet as a whisper.