Chapter VI "Surprise"

It has been a week since the two girls saw each other.

It has been minutes since the two girls last texted each other. So it wasn't so bad, right? Chaewon had been wanting desperately to see her, but Yunjin's schedule had been so tight this week as she had lots of big projects to finish.

So they had to wait.

In the meantime, Chaewon spent her week quite busy, she had been working extra hours at the bar to get a little increase by the end of the month. The reason for her adding effort to her job was only related to her desire for a satisfactory career choice.

That time she stepped into university territory inspired her, much more than any other thing had.

In her spare time, she had visited some bookstores, where her feet automatically went to the philosophy and social sciences sector. Without knowing too much about the authors and the titles of the books, she read a lot of back covers until she put together a cart full of books that seemed interesting and pertinent to the professional area Chaewon planned to focus on.

Arriving home after her cultural outings, she felt the growing urge to read the books she had purchased, but just reading the first page of one of her new acquisitions, she got disappointed.

Why didn't anyone tell her that reading philosophy was so difficult?

Of the half-hour she sat reading, twenty minutes were spent searching for the meaning of pretentious words, which turned out to be incredible for synthesizing thoughts or feelings she always had difficulty expressing.

Before continuing the arduous work of understanding the first ten pages, she investigated which of the books she had bought was the easiest to start with. To her misfortune, Chaewon had not purchased any that were considered beginner-friendly, but she did manage to divide them by difficulty. Plus, somehow or other, the fact that they were challenging books motivated her much more.

She started with Meditations on First Philosophy by René Descartes.

She spent the whole week saving space in the evenings to read her book, and despite the effort and time wasted in dissociating between texts, she was able to get the thread and understand it.

Proudly, she couldn't wait to see Dipshit and tell her about her discovery and new hobby.

On a Saturday late afternoon, Chaewon received a suspicious outcontext message from Yunjin.

DIPSHIT (19:03)
You've got something planned for tonight?
You wouldn't mind if I did something daring, right?

CHAEWON (19:05)
What does that mean?

DIPSHIT (19:05)
So you are not busy tonight?

CHAEWON (19:05)
I mean, no.
But what's with all the mystery, huh?

DIPSHIT (19:06)
Surprises aren't good when you spill every detail.

Chaewon, who hasn't been able to walk properly without feeling observed, spent the evening reading her book, she was almost halfway there, which made her feel rather proud. Maybe philosophy was her area, or maybe she was rushing too much; but regardless of the alternative, she was enjoying every second of her lecture.

As she was preparing an iced coffee, she heard a knock on the door. Would it be Yena asking her to please join her at a party? If that was the case, Chaewon wasn't looking forward to it, she was enjoying her quiet afternoon with a coffee and book in hand, spicing up her serenity with dancing under the influence of alcohol didn't seem tempting, no matter how much she liked alcohol.