Chapter X "Taking Care"

Sakura personally took Yena back to her bed. She had noticed Chaewon's discomfort with the double entendres, the closeness with Yunjin, and dropping the bombshell of the kiss right there, was enough to stress out the raven-haired girl from head to toe.

Chaewon held Yena in high regard, but their relationship couldn't be classified as intimate friendship, maybe occasional; even if Yena needed help, Chaewon would always be there for her, but not vice versa. Yena was a girl who didn't have close relationships with anyone, probably she and Sakura were the closest thing to a family, and yet, she didn't make an effort to build trust with both of them. So often Chaewon found herself in uncomfortable situations, either because of her neighbor's always festive and carefree personality or because of her excessive comments and actions.

And that night was one of those moments. So she appreciated Sakura's understanding and help, who, even without saying much, always knew how to calm Chaewon's anxiety.

Luckily, Yunjin hadn't paid much attention to the matter, so she resumed her projects promptly. An opportunity Chaewon seized to plan her study days for the Suneung exam.

One of the most challenging tests in the world that practically defines your success or failure.

Chaewon remembered taking it in her last year of high school, and despite not having prepared much, she didn't get bad scores. This was thanks to her being always a very attentive and diligent student, who, by being interested and dedicated to everything, stopped finding it meaningful to dedicate herself solely to one subject. What assured her that she wouldn't get bored after a few months of the career she chose? That had always been her greatest fear, so she decided not to choose and take a gap year, which unfortunately turned into two and counting.

But with philosophy, even though she had been delving into the area for a short time, she felt fulfilled. Besides, what better discipline than the one that is the mother of all others?

After finishing her schedule, and finding nothing else to do, she started subtly looking from her side of the table at the blonde.

She felt deep embarrassment as if she were no longer capable of speaking to her normally, she was sure she had lost the ability to make eye contact with her, every time she did, she would immediately think of that photo.

And she would want to repeat it, that was the worst.

Why didn't Yunjin say anything? Did she not remember? Impossible, she hadn't drunk that much, she even managed to take Chaewon home, she had to remember it. And even if Yena's friend isn't the most reliable source in the world, why would he edit a photo of two girls he barely knew? She found it a waste of time. So that photo had to be real.

Despite feeling embarrassed, she was more annoyed than anything else, she would have liked to share such a moment consciously, at least to remember it! She felt so frustrated.

Maybe she should start measuring her self-control more every time she went out, who knows what other stupid things she might do in that state. She was sure that as soon as she told Sakura, she would scold her excessively.

But boredom was killing her, and having Yunjin just a few meters away was eating her alive. Was she really going to let a simple photo ruin her night with her?

She feared the answer was yes, but she was making an effort to gather enough courage to approach her naturally. If Yunjin had behaved normally all day, why would she change now, right?

She got up from her chair and tiptoed over to see what the blonde was doing; timidly, she rested her chin on one of her shoulders. When she did this, Yunjin turned her head to look at her, she could even feel her breath from the closeness, but she didn't dare to look.

Stop beating, damn heart.

"How are you doing?" she asked.

"Finishing up, luckily. I have to meet the minimum page count, but even though I search for information, it feels very repetitive, so I'm opting for the arts of sophisticated words."

Chaewon smiled amusedly, a bit disappointed that they couldn't enjoy themselves exempt from responsibilities.

"And when do you have to turn it in?"

"Well, on Tuesday, but it's better to finish early, don't you think?"

Chaewon nodded.

"Do you want something to drink?"

"Uh, well... What do you have?" she said without taking her eyes off the computer screen.

"I was thinking of making myself a tea, but I have coffee and cold drinks."

"A coffee is fine, so I don't fall asleep."

"And when do you plan to sleep?"

"I don't plan to sleep," she said with a laugh. Chaewon furrowed her brow, drawing Yunjin's attention. "This essay isn't my only assignment; I have to do some reports and read a book..."

The dark-haired girl, beginning to understand the blonde's personality, despite her disapproving look, asked:

"And when is the deadline for these assignments?"

"Friday, and the book is for the following Monday," she replied genuinely, not understanding the problem.

"And why are you overworking yourself, miss? You have time, and you already have almost finished the assignment due next week. I'll make you a tea."

"But—"

"No 'buts'! You're a human being with physiological needs before being a walking head."

Yunjin laughed, now disengaging from her computer and giving Chaewon a sweet look.

Oh damn it, why did she have to draw her attention? If she focused exclusively on her, she would die of embarrassment.

"Think that if I finish everything now, I'll have more free time to see you."

"Although it sounds tempting, I prefer you to manage your responsibilities rather than getting sick for wanting to do everything quickly," she said as she turned her back to make the hot beverages.

"Are you taking care of me, Chaewon?" she asked playfully.

"Don't tease me, I'm very busy."

Yunjin laughed heartily behind her, and even though she was turned away, Chaewon could feel her gaze, her presence, her smile, all of her.

Oh... Yunjin, why don't you mention the kiss?

This time Chaewon was the one who ordered the Uber, she did it as soon as she saw Yunjin starting to pack her things, before she could think of ordering one before her. This led to a series of chases around the apartment, asking the raven-haired girl to cancel the payment, however, it only resulted in her getting tired.

Due to the late hour and the time they spent together, she almost asked her to stay overnight, but considering that she didn't have her personal belongings, she assumed that the proposal might be uncomfortable for her, so she promised herself that next time, she would ask in advance.

Before leaving, Yunjin mentioned that she would be available on Wednesday and Friday to go out, at least in the afternoon, to which Chaewon responded positively that she would be there.

In the following days, the dark-haired girl focused solely on studying for the Suneung exam and reading her philosophy books during her breaks; by the way, she had started a new one called Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard.

It had been a long time since she had felt this kind of happiness and satisfaction, being able to maintain an active life of work and study, and spending time with the girl who occupied the majority of her thoughts.

She felt like she was shaping her adult life, which although scared her and therefore she had stagnated, now that she was taking a different but exciting step, she felt complete.

**

I hope you're enjoying ^^