37

Caitlyn woke up the next morning still sitting at the desk in Lando's office. She groaned slightly as she sat upright, her neck stiff and her body cold. She left the room and was headed up to the bedroom when she heard a familiar voice coming from the kitchen. He was clearly on the phone to someone and didn't sound happy.

L- I don't care how you do it Charlotte, make sure you get the article taken down as soon as possible. Caitlyn has enough going on in her life at the moment without this. Thankfully she isn't on social media so hopefully she won't see it in the meantime.

L- Okay, let me know as soon as you have an update. Thanks

Silence then followed which prompted Caitlyn to rush up the stairs and grab her phone. She locked herself in the bathroom on the top floor of the house and searched up her name.

"Does Lando Norris know what he is getting into with Caitlyn O'Malley?

It has come to light that Ms O'Malley has major drama going on in her life. The young 21 year old, does not have any social media and seems to stay away from the limelight but an un-named source has given us an insight into her life and it would appear all is not as it seems.

"She is known in the village as an attention seeker. Always making up lies about her life. Her mum is no better. She was always the subject of gossip for seeing multiple men at once or partying too hard with drink and drugs.

It was no surprise that things ended the way they did"

After investigating claims further, our reporter has discovered that Caitlyn does not know her real father and there is various rumours that her mum wasn't sure who it was either. Things took a turn for the worse a few months ago when Ms O'Malley's mum succumbed to a house fire, which we believe was self inflicted. Now with no family or home, the source has confirmed that Caitlyn has moved into Lando's multi-million pound mansion rent free. 

Is there anything this girl won't do for her 15 minutes of fame??"

James Withers - Evening Chronicle

Caitlyn was numb and frozen to the spot, a million things running through her mind at once. Who was this un-named source? Only a few people knew she was staying with Lando. And did he think she was just after him for fame? Surely not after all they had been through. But unfortunately she wasn't thinking straight in that moment and everything in her body was telling her to run. And so she did. She packed the little belongings she had collected since moving in, slipped on her trainers and waited until she knew Lando would be doing his workout in the garden. Once she was sure it was safe, she crept downstairs and out of the front door. She couldn't bring herself to look back or even leave a note. She wanted to disappear.

After making it to the bus station without being recognised, she checked the board to see where  she could go and found it instantly at the bottom of the board, Gatwick Airport. She boarded the bus and checked outgoing flights. She didn't want to go abroad and then she noticed there was a flight to the Orkney Islands later that afternoon. She booked herself on the flight and stared out the window as the passing towns whizzed by.

Lando- where are you? I thought you were still in the office working 

She reached the airport and checked in for her flight. She had found a small airbnb that she could get into that night, which was in the centre of Kirkwall. She turned off her phone as soon as she sat down in departures, she couldn't face speaking to anyone. After a short flight, she climbed out of the taxi in Kirkwall. It was pouring with rain and already pretty dark as she entered the bedsit. She took a deep breath before turning her phone back on, knowing she would have to face telling Michelle where she was but before she could even open her message app, 20+ notifications came through

Lando- Caitlyn????

Lando- Where are you?? I am worried now

Lando- Please let me know you are okay

Lando- WTF, I've just realised your stuff is gone. What's going on baby!?

Michelle- Why have I just had a frantic Lando on the phone?

Michelle- I'm worried now, please let me know you're okay

15 missed calls

Before she could read any more messages, Caitlyn turned her phone off again. How could yesterday be one of the best in her life and now its all crashing down around her? She knew she had to let people know where she was or at least she was okay but she just couldn't face it. She climbed into bed and eventually let sleep take over her. She woke the next day feeling darker than she ever had. She had told herself she would stay offline for a day but that one day soon turned into 5 then a week. By that point it was easier to stay hidden than face the real world. She had gotten into a routine of walking down to the harbour or up to the cathedral and writing for most of the day before returning to the bedsit. She barely ate or had any communication with the locals. The depression being fuelled by the lack of interaction or light in her life. 

She had been in the local shop picking up some groceries when she noticed an advert on the tv for the grand prix that was the next day. Whilst in her bubble of darkness she had lost track of the days and completely forgotten the second half of the season had began. Back at the airbnb, curiosity got the best of her and she turned her phone on. She planned to see how Lando had gotten on in qualification but she was confused to see Pato O'Wards name on the timing board.  She googled Lando's name and saw a short statement on the McLaren X page stating that "due to unforeseen circumstances, Lando would not be attending that weekend". She had turned off all notifications so she couldn't see desperate messages coming through, but eventually she tapped into the messages app and opened the chat with him.

Lando- Please Caitlyn, I need to know you are okay?

Lando- I love you

Lando- I don't think I can do this without you

Lando- You mean the world to me

Lando- I love you

Lando- Please check your old email account

For the first time since she had left his house, Caitlyn felt something other than darkness. She felt regret, and with that feeling, the tears streamed down her face as she opened the email from him

from: Orange_bob

to: CMOM99

Subject: I love you

Caitlyn,

Its been a week now and I still haven't heard from you. My brain keeps telling me that the worst has happened but I can feel it in my heart that you are still out there somewhere.

You have had a lot of things going on in the last 6 months and in all honestly I am not surprised something has pushed you to act in this way but please know that I love you with all my heart and I pray you come back, or even just let me know you are safe somewhere.

I have been pulled from racing this weekend, in fact, Zak wouldn't even let me travel. I am such a mess without you. I just want to hold you and kiss you, even if its just for the last time. Only now can I fully understand how you felt after your mum passed away....not to be able to say goodbye.

I will wait for you forever if I have to, just please come back.

Always yours,

Lando

"There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart." – Mahatma Gandhi

Caitlyn read the words over and over again, hard painful sobs leaving her body. Then before she knew what she was doing, she dialled the one person she needed the most.

*** So a long chapter for you. I just wanted to say to anyone that is in a dark place right now, you are enough! You will get through this season in life and remember after the rain, comes the rainbow xx ***