taehyung

2

Taehyung was at home, ready to go out for an evening walk. He would only ever leave his house because of his job; he never had the time to enjoy a nice evening like that day's: it was sunny, and since it was a weekday, the children were home, and the streets were silent, albeit crowded by people rushing home from work.

He put his phone in his track pants and straightened his white tank top before leaving his house, a habit born of years spent in front of mirrors, perfecting his appearance. A few steps away from his house, a ringing sound pierced the silence, and Taehyung cursed under his breath. He dug his phone from his pocket, already knowing who was calling before he even checked the screen. With a heavy sigh, he answered, "What do you want, Thorne?"

"Ah, my Secret Weapon, I thought you were never going to answer," the familiar voice said, the amusement in his tone grating on Taehyung's nerves.

"I've told you many times not to call me that," Taehyung replied, annoyed. He felt like his boss was too comfortable with him sometimes.

"I have a job for you," Thorne ignored what Taehyung had just told him.

Taehyung waited a few seconds for his boss to finish his sentence, in vain, "Are you going to tell me who that is or do you want me to beg you?"

"Elis Novikov. Come tomorrow for the contract and his file."

"How much are we talking?"

"You should ask that to the man who wants you to carry out this hit," his employer answered. "Be there tomorrow at nine," was the last thing Taehyung heard before Thorne hung up the phone.

Taehyung stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and took a deep breath, exasperated by his job. He would have quit if it did not pay that well. He would have quit if he was not being blackmailed, too.

He finished his walk and got back home for dinner before getting ready for bed.

Meeting new clients always put him on edge, making it hard for him to fall asleep. He spent his night tossing and turning in his bed, allowing himself only a blink of sleep at three in the morning, just three hours before his alarm rang.

Although he had only slept three hours, he could feel the adrenaline pumping in his veins. Taehyung left his bed to take a quick, cold shower to wake himself up and have a rapid breakfast before going on a jog. He, then, returned home to freshen up, got in his car, and drove to his employer to meet his new client.

Once he arrived at his employer's office, Taehyung knocked and let himself in without waiting for a response. There was Thorne and a strange face he had never seen. "Ah, the Secret Weapon, we were just talking about you," his employer said.

"Don't call me that, Thorne," Taehyung said, annoyance dripping from his voice.

"Come and sit, this is Arthur Everhart," Thorne ignored Taehyung once more and introduced the man sitting with him.

"I just want the contract and to know how much this is going to be, no need to waste everyone's time," Taehyung retorted, already irritated by his boss.

"Seventy-five," Everhart informed Taehyung. "Thousand, that is," he specified, earning him a sarcastic look from Taehyung that said thanks, I thought cents. "Where's the contract?" he then asked. Thorne handed Taehyung the contract with a sly smile touching his thin lips, almost hidden by his growing beard.

Taehyung grabbed it and pondered for a few seconds before extending his hand, silently requesting a pen. After the contract was signed, Thorne gave Taehyung the file of his next hit under the watchful eyes of Everhart, who nodded at every piece of additional information given by the employer.

The file read:

Target Name: Elis Novikov
Age: 52
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 223 lbs
Occupation: Businessman.
Location: Bridgeport City.  
Main connections: Nico Amato, Lee Nazal, Martin Bryant.

Novikov's background revealed that he was a notorious figure in Bridgeport City, known for his involvement in illicit activities including drug trafficking, extortion, and blackmail. His enterprises served as fronts for his criminal operations, which had plagued the city for years. He operated with a network of loyal associates and enforcers.

The section "Reason for Contract" stated that Novikov's criminal activities had caused significant harm to the community, leading to increased violence, addiction, and fear among residents. His connections to drug trafficking, extortion, and blackmail had resulted in numerous casualties and a pervasive atmosphere of corruption within not only Bridgeport City, but several more cities like New Haven, Highcastle and Varesia.

Apparently, eliminating Novikov was seen as a necessary step in restoring peace and stability to the region. However, Taehyung knew it was not the only reason; almost everyone engaged in criminal activities and terrorized New Haven and its surroundings, so what made Everhart better than Novikov? But he knew better than to question his clients.

In the file, Everhart emphasized discretion and warned against attracting undue attention or causing collateral damage during the operation. Additional requests stated that anyone who stood between the target and the hitman would have to be eliminated as well, alongside the target.

Taehyung's eyes skimmed over the words, his finger ghosting over the piece of paper, focusing on the most important details before closing the file. He looked up at both men and nodded. "Have a good day," he said before leaving Thorne's office.

This should be easy.