taehyung

34

Taehyung stood next to Everhart, his eyes never leaving Arya. She was bound to a chair, her hands tied behind her, and her head lowered. Her hair covered her face, obscuring whether her eyes were open. Only the slight change in her breathing confirmed to him that she was awake but refused to show her captor that she was conscious.

He glanced at Everhart, who was attentively watching Arya from his seat, a gun in one hand, the other propping up his head. Taehyung debated whether he should bring up Thorne; after all, he had delivered Arya to her father, safe and sound, without a scratch on her. The least Everhart could do was keep his end of the bargain.

Taehyung started chewing the inside of his cheek, thinking of how to begin his sentence. Just as he was about to speak, Everhart raised his gun-wielding hand, signaling for silence. "Arya, I know you're awake," he said.

Taehyung whipped his head around to look at Arya, anticipating her reaction. In the few hours he had known her, she had proven to be unpredictable. But now, bound to that chair, there was little to predict.

Arya raised her head and stared at the ceiling, her throat bobbing twice. The two men waited for an answer that never came. Instead, she chuckled lightly, letting her head fall forward. The chuckles turned into dry laughter that made Everhart furrow his eyebrows in confusion, Taehyung just watched her with a blank expression, attempting to hide his concern. Has she finally gone crazy?

Arya's eyes fell onto Taehyung before quickly shifting to her father, a bitter smile on her lips. "So this is how you treat your child after six years of not seeing them?"

Everhart placed the gun onto his lap and leaned forward, elbows on his knees, hands clasped. "It's nice to see you haven't changed at all," he said, leaning back in the chair and crossing his arms over his chest. "Guess Edith did a great job raising you."

"Keep her name out of your mouth," Arya hissed, her eyes narrowed.

"Don't talk to your father like that, little girl." Everhart replied with a sly smile.

"What do you know about being a father, anyway?"

Everhart scoffed at her words, clearly unbothered. "As cheeky as I remembered you," he said, standing up and slowly walking towards her. Taehyung watched as Everhart placed the gun in his belt, walked behind Arya, and delicately grabbed a strand of her brown hair before dropping it and walking in front of her. Everhart crouched before Arya and put a hand on her knee, but she jerked in response, trying to get his hand off her.

Throughout the interaction, Taehyung couldn't take his eyes off Arya. He was ready to jump in and stop her father from harming her in any way. As Arya jerked her knee, he took a step forward but stopped when she glanced at him, silently pleading for him not to do anything that would provoke her father. He nodded at her and resumed his stance, hands joined behind his back, watching the two people in front of him having a little family meeting.

"It was never meant to happen," Everhart began. Since he received no response from Arya, he continued. "Your sister wasn't supposed to die that night."

"And look at what you did." Arya rolled her with a scoff, turning her head to not look at her father.  

Taehyung, standing nearby, couldn't see what Everhart was doing as he could only see the parent's back, but Arya's wince hinted that her father had tightened his grip on her knee. "I'm trying to apologize, you're not making this easy," Everhart continued, his frustration evident.

"What kind of apology is this, 'it wasn't supposed to happen'?" Arya hissed, her voice tinged with bitterness. "People say that when they make a mistake. How do you accidentally kill two people? And not just anyone, but your wife and child."

"Your sister's death was a mistake," Everhart replied solemnly.

"Oh, great. So, you only meant to kill my mother?" Arya retorted sarcastically. "That's reassuring."

"She was ready to do anything to leave me," Everhart explained, standing abruptly and moving to a different room, leaving Taehyung and Arya alone, their eyes locking.

When Taehyung had carried a passed-out  and unconscious Arya into this house, he hadn't explored it. He was unaware of what Everhart kept hidden, unsure of what was happening in the room her father had just entered.

"You murdered my mother over a divorce?" Arya's voice cut through the air, filled with disbelief and anger.

"It's not the divorce I was worried about. She knew everything about me, and she was ready to use it against me," Everhart shouted back from the other room. "Once she found out how deep I was with Novikov and his operations, she wanted to use it to get me locked up, divorce me, and take you two away. I couldn't let her hit three birds with a stone."

As Arya listened to her father's confession, tears welled up in her eyes, her expression a mix of pain and disbelief. Taehyung winced and almost doubled over when he witnessed the few tears fall down her cheeks, pang of pain hit him in the stomach.  

"But there's a reason I had Mr. Kim bring you to me," Everhart continued, his voice softer now. "I always knew you wanted revenge. Whose blood, though? That was the question."

Arya's eyes dropped to the ground, avoiding Taehyung's gaze. He could see the weariness and emptiness in her expression, the toll of being tied up and forced to confront the man who shattered her life, the one who was supposed to be her guardian. He looked at her intently, how her lips began to move, blankly mouthing the words, yours. I want your blood. She looked numb, disconnected from reality

"Novikov, isn't it?" Everhart's voice cut through the silence again as he emerged from the room, a knife in his left hand, his right one firmly grasping the bicep of Novikov, his mouth taped shut, hands bound behind his back and a bruise darkening one eye. Everhart looked at Arya with a bright smile, though that smile did not reach his eyes, "there you go. You want me to apologize? This is my apology to you, my dear Arya."