arya

35

He had six years to come up with a proper apology, and this was all he could do. I cocked an eyebrow and looked at him incredulously. "I see you did my job for me, father," I said, layering the last word with as much sarcasm and snarkiness as I could muster.

Novikov straightened up at the sight of me, his mouth covered with tape, mumbling something unintelligible. I ignored him, my eyes locked on my father. He held my gaze as he brought Novikov closer and then kicked him behind the knees, forcing him to kneel at my feet.

Novikov looked up, his eyes blank. I stared back with the same emptiness. For six years, I had dreamed of having him at my mercy, but the rush of euphoria I had anticipated was absent. In that moment, we were both victims of my father's twisted game, mere puppets in his sick show.

"Perfect timing. You being here, I mean," my father said, circling behind me and playing with a knife. He began cutting the rope binding my hands as he continued, "If you die, I won't have a vengeful child to worry about. If Novikov dies," he said, freeing my hands but leaving the rope around my torso, "I will take control of his organization and rule over Ames, New Haven, and everything in between." He placed the knife in my hands and moved behind Novikov, resting his hands on his shoulders with a smile. "I could have given you my gun, but you'd have shot me," he chuckled. "Besides, the man who entangled your father in this shady business," he said, shaking Novikov lightly, "is kneeling right in front of you. Wouldn't you want to make this personal and use a knife, anyways?"

Suddenly, he stabbed the knife into my thigh. What started as a sharp pang of pain erupted into a searing agony, like a fire had ignited in my leg. I tried to muffle my scream with my hands, but it only amplified in my head, making my eardrums ring. Tears streamed down my face as I looked at the knife lodged in my thigh. With shaky hands, I reached for it, every brush against the handle of the knife sent waves of pain through me as if thousands of needles were piercing my flesh.

I glanced at Taehyung, feeling a wave of embarrassment at my helplessness. His eyes were fixed on my father, a death stare directed at Everhart. Through my tear-blurred vision, I saw my father standing next to me like a statue, arms crossed and a cruel smile playing on his lips.

Taking deep, shaky breaths, I tried to calm myself, but each inhale seemed to amplify the pain. I grabbed the knife's handle with both hands and, with all my strength, pulled it out of my leg. Moans and whimpers of pain escaped my lips. As the knife finally came free, my father began clapping slowly. "I always knew you were a fighter. Why else would I have called you Hilde?" he said boastfully, as though proud of what I had just endured.

With my head lowered over the knife, I contemplated my options. Cutting the rope that tied me to the chair would be too obvious to my father; he would kill me on the spot. Launching at him was futile, given he had a gun. The only viable choice left was to lean forward as much as the restraints allowed and take out Novikov.

So that's what I did.

After my vision cleared from my tears, I looked at Novikov, just a few inches away. My grip on the weapon tightened. He stared back at me with a blank expression, as if this scenario was routine for him. Summoning all the strength I had left, I plunged the knife into his neck and held the handle tight. I watched the life slowly drain from his eyes as they dulled and rolled back. I couldn't let go of the knife until his body started collapsing to the side, the blade coming free from his neck. Blood spurted out like a fountain, splattering my face, hands, and shoes.

I stared at the dying man I had hunted for years. His body spasmed, trying to cling to life but failing. Only then did I throw the knife in front of me, far enough for it to reach Tae's feet, grinding my teeth in disappointment. It felt anticlimactic. In my mind, finding Novikov and killing him was the culmination of my vengeance. But as I gazed at the lifeless body, I realized it wasn't just Novikov's fault. My father bore as much responsibility. His lust for power drove him to sacrifice anything, including his own family.

"Mr. Kim, I have something for you too," my father said, disappearing into the room where he had kept Novikov and emerging with a plastic bag. "I would have loved for you to have your moment with Thorne, but I couldn't be bothered to waste my time like that. You're welcome, kid." He handed the bag to Tae, who grimaced as he took it and looked inside, sneering at my father.

"Thanks, Everhart. I'm going to hang Thorne's head on my living room wall," Tae replied mockingly, before tossing the bag to the floor. Thorne's decapitated head rolled out, stopping at the feet of Novikov's corpse. The sight of the severed head filled me with dread. I was surrounded by death and the stench of blood, I knew I was about to be next.

"You can go, Kim. I need some alone time with my daughter," my father said, drawing his gun and pointing it at my forehead. His sadistic smile widened as he disabled the safety and tilted his head. "So sad to see you go this soon, my dear Hilde. What a waste of potential," he said, placing his finger on the trigger.

I closed my eyes, resigned to my fate, my breath hitched in my throat as I heard the gunshot. I felt a mix of satisfaction from killing Novikov and disappointment knowing my father would continue to walk this earth undeservingly while the maggots would keep me company.